Thread: How was your saw delivered??

How was your saw delivered??

A friend has ordered a Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw with the longer rails. He expects it to be delivered in late Feb. or early March. We/He is wondering how it will be delivered, how many pieces and so on. The reason for the question is my back has failed and we are wondering how any people it is going to take to help with the installation/unloading process. He also has an 8" jointer on order but I forget the model number. They'll both be coming at the same time.
    Also any tips or tricks on the installation of any lose pieces would be appreciated.

Jim

The saw cabinet comes in one box on a pallet. The fence and rails come in another box. Don't know about the jointer.
    When I ordered my 1023 in 1994, I had the shipper deliver it to my local lumber yard. They forklifted it off the truck. Then I went to town and they forked it onto my trailer, tied it down, took it home.
    It's a little tough getting a 500 # box off the back of a semi trailer with no liftgate.
    PS. Did my 20" planer the same way.
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 01-30-2005 at 8:20 PM.

My PM66 came in several boxes for the fence, rails, cast iron extension, melamine table extension, and the blade guard. The saw cabinet came in a crate/box on a pallet. One of the shipping options when I ordered it was to have it delivered via FedEx liftgate service for an extra $50. I think it was well worth the expense. They backed up to my garage, lowered the unit and wheeled it right where I wanted it. Once I got the crating removed from the pallet, I had one helper to help me get it shimmied off the pallet and onto the mobile base. After that, everything was easily do-able with one person.
    If you actually have to lift it down from a truck bed by hand, I would count on 4 people. More would be handy if there was room for them to grab on, or I guess you could run some stout boards through the pallet and have them lift it sedan-chair style.
    My PM jointer came with the bed (a 2 person job) and the cabinet in separate boxes. I'm assuming Griz and most others probably ship things similarly. They're all bound by the same common carrier weight issues.
    Use the fence Luke

My used Delta with out the wings or fence came in the back of my truck with no box. It was laying on its back with a four caster furniture dolly fastened to the bottom with a ratcheting cargo strap around the top & the dolly & carpet underneath & on up the truck tail gate. I let the truck tail gate all the way down against the bumper & eased the saw out & let it do a controlled slide down the carpet & then tipped it up onto all four wheels & wheeled it into the shop. From the time I walked up to the truck until the saw was in the shop was about 5 minutes. No help needed.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Jim, My Unisaw came bolted down on a pallet in a box, wings installed, table board, rails and fence in seperate boxes. I was able to handle all by myself once it was on the ground. The Jointer, 8", was another story, the base and motor was in one box and easy enough, the jointer itself was in a seperate box and was not easy even with 2 people, that is a lot of cast iron in one chunk.
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

Might want to have 4 people

I had my 1023SL delivered in March of 04 and it took 4 people to get it to the ground (the hardest part) once it was on the ground I just used a furniture dolly to get it to the shop. The driver was less than stellar on the service end. He was the rudest person I have ever met (union driver I am sure). He moved it to about 4 or 5 feet from the back of the trailer and said "This is as far as I take it, unless you want to give me an extra $100.00" After laughing at the person my friends and I took our sweet time getting the saw off the back of the truck.
    I bet we took over an hour, we sized things up and hussed around for a while. The driver got so mad it was hilarious. A couple times he told us to hurry up. And I would reply, hey there is no time table for us to get it off the truck and a better attitude would have sped us up. I have never seen someone that mad when they drove off.
    But when I had my Grizzly Jointer delivered the driver was as nice as could be and helped me move it into the shop with even asking. Of course I was living in the south at the time and people are just nicer down there.

Hope this helps,

Mike K

It took three of us to unload mine from the freight truck to my truck, then the trip up the drive and three people to unload it from my truck. It was very heavy. I got the sliding table and the 30" rails so mine came in 4 boxes.

The new trucking company they use is the only cog in the wheel. They had my saw in the area for several days before I got it. They had promised delivery that Monday, but I didn't get it til Thursday, so while I was at Terry's BBQ in Arkansas, the saw sat in it's boxes in my shop.

Jim,

I took delivery of a 1023 with the 7' rails and and a 8" jointer in september. I had the barge line bring it to my house on a truck with a lift gate. The 1023 with all the parts came in I believe 3 boxes and 1 pallet. The pallet is the substantial piece, I had 2 neighbors and myself lift it off.

The 8" Griz jointer I have came in 1 box and modified long pallet with the top.

I was able to set up everything by myself with the exception of lifting the jointer top on. I just saw an excellent post about a gentleman dealing with a 1000lb jointer by himself using an engine hoist.

The set up goes well with the 1023 as far as the saw goes. I was not impressed with the Shop Fox extension rails and table. I also have several Shop Fox mobile bases which I would never purchase again. All of there products I have had experience with are always short hardware in set up. They even state in there manuals that they will send you more but you might just want to go to the hardware store yourself because they have other vendors take care of this portion (essentially not taking responsibilty for the product they send out). This is a very poor presentation and to top it off the bolts are of very low quality and strip out quite easy. I would spend a few more bucks for descent hardware but I dont believe they should sell a product that the standard is to go to the hardware store half way through set up to purchase stuff which you already paid for.

Sorry for the venting. In other words most stuff can be done by yourself other then several lifting procedures. The Grizzly 1023 and the jointer are great products and very fine purchase for the dollar spent. The Shop Fox accesories in my opinion are lacking quality in a number of aspects.

That is my 2 cents.

If you have an appliance dolly, you should have no problem handling that equipment with two people. My fiancée and I were able to get all this equipment into my basement shop.

My Grizzly Jointer came in 3 large boxes. The jointer was on a wooden skid shaped like the jointer. The base came in another box, and one other box for the belts, wheels, etc.

The Unisaw came on a skid with 5 boxes. The boxes were easily movable by one peroson.

Of course, this is someone that does not have a bad back. So he should find an appliance dolly and two friends, and he should be fine. Hopefully the delivery truck has a liftgate.

chris

Kyle

I can understand you frustration.

I can also understand why Shopfox does things the way that they do.

I purchased the fence & built my own table. All the hardware & bolts were there to assemble the fence & extension & legs.

They don't necessarily send bolts for bolting to the sides of the main saw table or the back. I don't remember about the front of the table but I think they did send some for this area because they are through bolts with nuts & washers. All the rest of the bolts are threaded into the table top on my Unisaw & the left & right side have different threads. With the manufacture not knowing which saw you are going to put the fence on its pretty hard to guess at what bolts to send in the kit. My fence system went together very well & aligned very easy. We compared it to the commercial Biesemeyer fence on my friends saw & didn't see any major difference accept the fence surface which so far doesn't seem to make any difference.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Kyle

I can also understand why Shopfox does things the way that they do.

I purchased the fence & built my own table. All the hardware & bolts were there to assemble the fence & extension & legs.

Biesemeyer fence on my friends saw & didn't see any major difference accept the fence surface which so far doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Bart,

Yah my luck with Shop Fox has just not been good because the 2 mobile bases I purchased were also short hardware. Such is life.

I did enjoy your pics a bit back on the Unisaw, great project with an outstanding piece of equipment to show.

When my Unisaw was delivered, I had it shipped to a local furniture mover. They brought it to my house, and several young guys with necks about the thickness of my thighs took it down the stairs and set it up in my basement. Cost? $100 . A few years later when I built my present shop as an addition to my house, I called the same mover. They moved all the heavy items in my basement shop up the stairs, out the door, around the back of the house and into my new shop. Cost? $100.

I picked up my Sears Hybrid saw at one of their stores, but it was packed on a metal frame.

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana

Red face

Jim years ago i bought my Delta contractor. My grandson (5 at the time) went with me to pick it up at the loading dock.Got there and they loaded it up in the pickup with a forklift. When we got home I backed up to the garage to unload and to my amazement no one in the neighborhood to help get it out!!!! (mid-day) Grandson asked Paw-Paw whats wrong, I told him I didn't know how we were going to get it out of the truck." He simply stated why don't you open the box and take one piece out at the time." DUHHH. I guess younger minds do work better then old Paw-Paw's with CRS.
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

Jim,

I have a Word file documenting my pick-up and set up experinces with my Griz 1023SL. I did almost everything by myself with the help of an appliance dolly. If you'll PM me with your email address, I will be happy to forward the Word file to you.

Your friend will love his new saw!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb