Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New plane build is completed

New plane build is completed

The new plane has been completed and the full details are on my website ..

Part I: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ablade%21.html

Part II: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...rsJointer.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 04-10-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: fixed the URL link

Do be careful when using the plane upside down. Fingers make potato chip slices very easily.

Awesome, Derek, as always. I like the idea of putting it in the vise with the fence on. That seems very very useful, and now I'm getting silly ideas in my head again.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

WOW - now THAT is a plane!

I mentioned somewhere that I saw a coffin shaped early German jointer about 7 feet long. it had about a 10" wide iron in it. That must have been a bear to bevel . Why such a large blade? I don't know. Maybe the cooper was making large tubs with 2" or 3" thick walls. Maybe it was just a pride of ownership thing. The mouth of the plane was also carved with an early looking floral design. I didn't take pictures as it was in a private collection,and I was a guest.

I am pretty sure that they had a better selection of natural wheels than we have today(like,1 source). They also used wooden wheels coated with natural carborundum.

Blog Entries
    As usual Derek a great write up. Thanks for you inspirations.

A possible answer to your question:

I’m still trying to understand why these planes need to be wide – long is helpful with jointing long staves.
    If the staves were bent before the jointing it would be easier with a wide blade.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-10-2011 at 2:02 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek, very nice plane!

Here's one that I have that was made sometime in the 19th century. It's 35" long with a 2 3/4" double iron and the body is, of course, beech. No maker's mark on the plane. The iron is by Butcher. I have yet be able to extricate the iron from the plane. Hopefully I will eventually be able to remove it.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris,
    The wood may have shrunk to the point that the iron is wedged in by the edges. Get it out or you may end up with cracked cheeks. AMHIKT.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Do be careful when using the plane upside down. Fingers make potato chip slices very easily.
    Hi George

I would love to hear your experiences, if any, using a cooper's jointer. I am specifically interested in technique (and am collecting as much on this as I can).

I'll watch the fingers - perhaps will need to develop a push stick ..

If the staves were bent before the jointing it would be easier with a wide blade.
    Jim, that may be so. Still, you do not need a wide blade for bent faces. Also, if the work piece is large, surely one would rather take the plane to it, rather than the other way around ...? Lots to learn.

Nice plane Chris ... looks familiar

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    Chris,
    The wood may have shrunk to the point that the iron is wedged in by the edges. Get it out or you may end up with cracked cheeks. AMHIKT.
    Tom
    Tom, That is exactly why the iron is stuck. I am pretty sure that it has been that way for some time. Getting the iron out without damaging the plane, is easier said than done!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Tom, That is exactly why the iron is stuck. I am pretty sure that it has been that way for some time. Getting the iron out without damaging the plane, is easier said than done!
    I don't see that you have anything to lose. It's unusable either way, so your best bet is to get it out, it may not kill the cheeks.

Pam

Chris,
    The traditional way to retract an iron is to strike the heel of the plane body. With a stuck iron such as yours, ramp up that action by by holding the plane vertical, heel down and dropping it from a height of several inches to a wood floor, not concrete. There is probably rust involved and it must be jarred loose. Increase the height as needed, and this will eventually loosen the iron enough to remove the wedge and iron. I saved a nice old Scottish wooden plane this way. With the edges of the iron and cap dressed down a little, it works well. Good luck.
    Tom

If the Iron is tapered you can try to give the blade a wack foward to break the wood/rust sticking
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Some free ( probably worth the price ! ) ideas to Chris Vandiver :

I'd hang the plane by the end of the blade so that the entire weight of the plane was suspended by it. Then I'd tap litely on a twice daily schedule on the heel of the plane with a firm but lite stroke. If it didn't give in after a week, I'd add more weight to the middle of the plane mouth by using coat hanger wire and a couple of small barbells. Repeat lite firm strokes. If it still didn't give the blade up, I'd wrap the mouth area with some tin foil and then use a torch to dry the mouth area as much as possible with out burning or harming the plane body. Of course, this would be a risky play but the idea is to remove any moisture from the wood by a slow bake and not a burn.

Feel free to laugh. The ideas are priced right ! Hoot !

Good luck.

Maybe that massive plane was set outside of his shop as an advertisement? How else could a plane like that even be effective?? Seven feet?? That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I mentioned somewhere that I saw a coffin shaped early German jointer about 7 feet long. it had about a 10" wide iron in it. That must have been a bear to bevel . Why such a large blade? I don't know. Maybe the cooper was making large tubs with 2" or 3" thick walls. Maybe it was just a pride of ownership thing. The mouth of the plane was also carved with an early looking floral design. I didn't take pictures as it was in a private collection,and I was a guest.

I am pretty sure that they had a better selection of natural wheels than we have today(like,1 source). They also used wooden wheels coated with natural carborundum.