Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lidded Hollow Form vs Lidded Box

Lidded Hollow Form vs Lidded Box

This morning I checked out the forum and ..

This was posted as a "Lidded Box":

This was posted as a "Hollow Form":

So, I have my thoughts on what defines a "box" vs a "bowl" or "hollow form" but it isn't agreeing with what people are posting here on SMC. Can you all help me to understand the difference?? How do YOU define each of the above??

GK

Hii Greg, I read a post somewhere around here, I have no idea where now, but it stated that the AAW had commented that a HF has an opening that was a good deal smaller then the smallest part of the body, or something to that effect I am just going from memory here. It also went on to say that the AAW purposly left the definition lose to cover a huge range of turnings. Either way to me it is just words, my pieces are what they are, the name makes no difference to me. I was a little unsure what to call the walnut one but went with what I have seen posted here in the past. I am curious what your thoughts are on this, and others as well.

From the AAW - Hollowform- The opening is equal to or less than the foot diameter. Hollowed to consistent wall thickness.
    Last edited by Tim Thiebaut; 04-10-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

In my case it could be as simple as the term that comes to mind while typing the description. In my own way of thinking I see a hollowform as something that comes near to full sphere on the shape, having an actual top side to it and an opening significantly smaller than the overall form, and made with the intent of being less functional and more artful. A box would usually be something smaller with an opening close to the same diameter as the overall form and made with the intent of actually keeping something protected in it beneath a lid. A bowl is usually a larger form with the opening being the widest point and made with the intent of being somewhat functional as a serving or eating utensil but still functional even if the only intended function is to show off a beautiful piece of wood. Of course there are many exceptions to the rules and enough exceptions to the exceptions to end up with no real rules at all.

I think the turner determines the nomenclature. But, having said that, to me a HF denotes a more closed form that could not be accomplished with gouges and scrapers - i.e., requires some form of hollowing tool/tools.

Here is what I perceive as the differences between the different forms:
    • Bowl: a turning that is wider than tall and the opening is the widest portion of the turning. Lids, if any, sit on or in and are held in place by gravity.
    • Vase/Cup: a turning that is taller than it is wide and the opening is the widest portion of the turning. Difference between vase and cup is matter of scale.
    • Hollow form: a turning that has an opening smaller than the rest of the turning. I think AAW is saying 1/3 as big, but I think if it is "partially closed" it is a HF.
    • Box: a turning designed to hold an object that you can easily remove (so not a HF shape), bottom often flat, always lidded and the lid fits on the outside of the main turning and is a snug fit (ie you have to work to take the lid off). Usually a "one handed" item so you can hold it to remove the lid.

That is my interpretation. I'd love to know everyone else's!

I like Greg's definition and will be using it on any of my future turnings.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    Here is what I perceive as the differences between the different forms:

• Bowl: a turning that is wider than tall and the opening is the widest portion of the turning. Lids, if any, sit on or in and are held in place by gravity.
    • Vase/Cup: a turning that is taller than it is wide and the opening is the widest portion of the turning. Difference between vase and cup is matter of scale.
    • Hollow form: a turning that has an opening smaller than the rest of the turning. I think AAW is saying 1/3 as big, but I think if it is "partially closed" it is a HF.
    • Box: a turning designed to hold an object that you can easily remove (so not a HF shape), bottom often flat, always lidded and the lid fits on the outside of the main turning and is a snug fit (ie you have to work to take the lid off). Usually a "one handed" item so you can hold it to remove the lid.

That is my interpretation. I'd love to know everyone else's!
    I think these are too restrictive. For example, the picture below is definitely a bowl - what is sometimes referred to as a "closed form" - but does not fit within your definition because the opening is not the widest portion of the turning.
    DSCN0647Web.jpg
    So the bowl definition needs to be modified to indicate that the opening should be as large as the base or larger - when it is smaller you are getting into the realm of the hollow form, although the exact demarcation line may sometimes be difficult to define.

This same condition also applies to vases and cups (and goblets, for that matter) - if the height of the piece shown is increased until it is greater than the width, it becomes a vase (or a cup, depending on size).

In addition, the opening in a vase may be considerably smaller than the base and still not qualify the piece as a hollow form. For example:
    DSCN0194Web.jpg
    Definitely a vase, not a hollow form. A further distinction here is between a regular vase and a "bud vase" - the former is usually hollowed to uniform thickness in the bottom portion with walls of equal thickness, while the latter has a simple vertical hole drilled from top to bottom.

As to boxes, I think the "easily removed" part is viable, but it applies only to the inside of the piece, not the exterior shape. For example, if the bowl shown above had vertical interior sides and a lid while retaining the same exterior shape it could certainly qualify as a box.

As for boxes themselves, nothing says the lid has to fit on the outside of the main turning, and I'm not sure than "snug fit" is a requirement either.

It seems that the more we attempt to define turnings the more we muddy the waters. And we haven't even looked into the realm of the plate/platter debate.

After an exhaustive discussion of this subject on another forum, one turner finally said, "I know one (vase/bowl/plate/HF/platter/whatever) when I see it."

'Nuf said.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.

So are the lidded canisters for flour, sugar, coffee and tea I am working on are then classified as lidded boxes??? Just curious. I think what one calls a piece is in the eye of the beholder or the turner.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This is a box
    cardboardbox.jpg

Just trying to contribute.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

It's all so confusing... This is why I started calling my turnings things like "cup like thing on a stick". Where does a pedestal leave off and a stem begin??? When does a "knob" become a "finial"??? Where is the line between a "cup" and a "bowl"??? Or a "lid" and a "collar"??? Why is John Hart building a giant lathe? These are questions that can only be answered by "celestial god beings". We mere mortals are forever condemned to be arguing about them!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ....Why is John Hart building a giant lathe?....
    Like Roger said...I'm compensating for something.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Okay, here's a maple bowl, 11 inches high, or is it a hollow form? If I added a lid would it be a box or a lidded bowl or a lidded vessel or a lidded hollowform?

Too many variables here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Okay, here's a maple bowl, 11 inches high, or is it a hollow form? If I added a lid would it be a box or a lidded bowl or a lidded vessel or a lidded hollowform?

Too many variables here.
    Looks like a vase to me.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post

Too many variables here.
    Wally, I would classify your turning as a closed form because the curve closes in on itself. I would classify a turning that you can only put a couple of fingers in a hollow form. That is just me

uh-oh. it's like back to the art vs. craft thing.