Thread: Work Bench Dimensions

Work Bench Dimensions

Hi,

If you had the room in your work shop for your ultimate work bench, what length and width workbench would you build?

I'm laying out my new workshop and, at least for now, I have the flexibility to go either moderate or quite large with a workbench. While I probably won't start building a work bench anytime soon, it's in the long-range plans.

Thanks.

Bob

I would build multiple benches if I had the space. My primary tooling bench would probably be similar to what I have now - doubling as the outfeed table for my tablesaw. But I would love to have at least 1 or 2 more benches that would give me better heights for assembling and finishing pieces. Just my $.02.

I think if I had unlimited space, my workbench would be of "normal" size (whatever normal is) but I would have an assembly table like David Marks had. Not as high as a work bench, dead flat, torsion box construction. The way your work bench would not be tied up for assembly.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    I think if I had unlimited space, my workbench would be of "normal" size (whatever normal is) but I would have an assembly table like David Marks had. Not as high as a work bench, dead flat, torsion box construction. The way your work bench would not be tied up for assembly.
    This is exactly how my shop is set up. I built David's torsion box (you can find the thread here somewhere) and last year added the workbench from the cover of Woodsmith.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Bob, you and only you can decide what size bench you "need" - Personally I have a few different benches all for different uses - 30" deep by 40" tall benches on the walls (I'm 6'3" so taller is better for me) a 30 x 96 x 36 tall bench out of 2 x 4's planed and face glued for a 3" thick top for beating on stuff, a 36 x 48 x 30 sanding table/ downdraft, and each of the 2 table saws have a full 4 x 8 table built "around" them (54" to the right of the blade) Once I get my next addition built, I'll be adding a 4 x 8 assembly table 30 - 36" tall.

my 2 cents
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

My dream bench has sort of an Iphone iterface type thing going on. If I need it taller I put my finger on it and drag up. Longer, two fingers do a spreading motion, too wide a quick pinch squeezes that dimension down. Then when its in the way I just swipe it out the room. Truth is the perfect bench will be the one you did not build.

LOL. I do love my iPhone but never thought of applying the concept to workbenches that way. :-)

If you only have room for 1 bench then you likely don't have a lot of room so there is no need to go deeper than 30". Chris says 24" deep is ideal and I have to agree. You can support material/projects plenty wide on it. I am usually working in a narrow area and that usually is within 6" of the edge of the bench. If you are doing wider table tops and such then no bench is going to be great except for maybe a lower assembly table so you can climb on and off it.

Length is a challenge and really comes down to space and preference. I just built 2 benches at 7' and they seem to work just fine for what I do. Good mix of hand and power tools. Rarely do my projects consist of anything over 7' and even if they do it can support the material out to 8-9' without missing the length. Any longer then you can always just use supports.

You didn't ask about height but start with a taller bench then you think you will need. Easier to cut the legs off vs add height later.

Two 4 x 8 benches work well for me. Also have several 2' deep cabinets nearby to stage tools, parts and hardware as well. I like 4x8 because I can stick a sheet of 1/4 melamine on top and have a nice smooth surface which is easily replaceable.

One is my primary bench, and is an island. The second is for parts staging, glueups etc.

36" height is perfect for me. I dislike low assembly tables, because even when working on large items like cabinets, I do operations which are I don't want to stoop over for. I do keep a lightweight step stool handy for times when I need to access the top of a large project.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 04-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.

I have 2- benches 5' apart. I'm standing between the benches 90% of the time I'm in the shop. Most of the tools I use are an arms reach away. Both benches are 3'x7'. Both are in the center of the shop not against the wall so you can access all sides of a big job. They are heavy enough to stay put, but I can slide them on uhmw glides screwed to the legs.

I have a 2' wide panel hanging from the ceiling above the end of each bench. I slide my most used hand tools into leather strap pockets on both sides of the panels.