Thread: An Ashtray For My Cigar

An Ashtray For My Cigar

I made my son a couple of replica cigars(pens) a couple weeks back. Wooden ashtrays were mentioned in a recent thread on SMC and that gave me the idea to include a wooden ashtray fro my Son's wooden cigar.

Here is the result:
    IMG_2746.jpg

I made it by radially drilling three holes around the blank at 120* thanks to my Jet 1642 indexing feature. I then parted it at one half of the tubs. If I had been thinking right I could have had two trays out of the blank but water under the bridge.
    IMG_2741.jpgIMG_2740.jpg

Stats:
    Material = Very old dry Cherry
    Diameter = 5"
    Height = 1"
    Tub size = 3/4" aluminum
    Finish = Lacquer sanding sealer and 2-3 coats of rattle can gloss Deft Lacquer.

IMG_2737.JPGIMG_2736.JPGIMG_2738.jpgIMG_2739.jpg

C & C welcomed.

"The best things in life are not things."

If you notice in picture 3 of the bottom four there is some bad angling of the tubes, they aren't straight radially. However, the good news is that they are all the same angle.

This ashtray I consider a prototype. I tried using my hand drill in a wooden guide to drill the holes. There is a lot of play int the drill head and I didn't realize the drill bit was drooping down at an angle. I had the drill tip at lathe spindle center but the drill motor was high causing the drill to angle down.

The wooden spacers next to the battery keep the drill straight side to side.
    IMG_2745.jpgIMG_2743.jpg

The photo above and right also shows my next try at straight radial drilling. I made a mount for my router "plunger" and will try that on the next one. I will also be trying copper tubing instead of aluminum. I don't really care for the color of the aluminum.

This is a better shot of the plunger mount. The plate you see the plunger mounted to is an old chain sprocket with the teeth milled off.
    IMG_2726.jpg

Hope that's not a real Cohiba label on that contraband JD!! Great pen and ashtray...Instructions were grat!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a cool piece. Thanks for sharing the instructions.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fun thread JD....you have nifty toys!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim,
    All you need now is a wooden smoke cloud. Great imagination and execution. The jigs are fun.
    faust

James try useing pvc pipe, it cuts great.

Clever idea!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Hope that's not a real Cohiba label on that contraband JD!! Great pen and ashtray...Instructions were grat!!
    Simulated only Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Jim,
    All you need now is a wooden smoke cloud. Great imagination and execution. The jigs are fun.
    faust
    I will have to give "wooden smoke cloud' some thought. Any body know of any greyish translucent wood species?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth walker View Post
    James try useing pvc pipe, it cuts great.
    Kenneth, do you mean as the cigar holder. I am looking for something less contrasty such as copper.

Jim,

Very slick looking ashtray and nice technique. Is it going to be used by a smoker? If so, I think I would skip the lacquer. Now I know that will upset Mr. Hart, but. I think the lacquer will burn up. Some of the burl ashtrays I have seen look like they were just polished, maybe a bit of oil. Once they get tempered they don't burn up too much. Also, if you are going to to some more users, I have seen many with a stone or piece of metal in the middle for tamping the stoogie. Very nice and creative stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Jim,
    Very slick looking ashtray and nice technique. Is it going to be used by a smoker? If so, I think I would skip the lacquer. Now I know that will upset Mr. Hart, but. I think the lacquer will burn up. Some of the burl ashtrays I have seen look like they were just polished, maybe a bit of oil. Once they get tempered they don't burn up too much. Also, if you are going to to some more users, I have seen many with a stone or piece of metal in the middle for tamping the stoogie. Very nice and creative stuff.
    Mark, It is for my son who does smoke a stogy on occasion but nothing else. The tray is actually intended as a display stand for the replica cigar shown in/on it. I have made him 3 of the replicas. A couple are shown here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Lit&highlight=. Being pens I am not too worried about them burning the lacquer.

Figured it was more for display. Love those cigar pens and the ash tray.