Thread: New Grizzly 0691 Table Saw - Initial Review

New Grizzly 0691 Table Saw - Initial Review

Review of new Grizzly 0691 cabinet saw

Purchase
    I tried to buy this saw in January at the winter sale price, but the sale ended Dec. 31 and sine Grizzly wouldn’t give me the sale price I told them I would wait for the spring sale. With the Woodworker’s Journal 10% coupon I ordered on March 2 a couple months before the usual Grizzzly spring sale date.

Delivery
    Delivery worked out great. A UPS semi and full size trailer with lift gate showed up at my curb on schedule. (Mobile base was delivered earlier). Trailer had my 4 boxes and a couple others – lots of open space. No wonder there’s an additional charge for residential delivery. With help from the driver’s pallet jack, my cheapo hand truck and $20 for the driver we had everything in the garage in 10 minutes.

The only concern was the fence rails where the box was badly damaged, but luckily no damage to the rails. Other than the rails everything else was very well packaged. The packaging for the saw was outstanding. The box was banded to its pallet and the bottom of the cabinet was bolted to the pallet. After ripping off the cardboard box, there was fiberboard protecting the table and a braced wood frame protecting all 4 corners of the cabinet. It took about an hour to unpack everything in the garage.

Moving the saw to the basement shop
    After several days of rumination and with some great advice from fellow Creekers, I decided to remove the top and the motor from the cabinet. With the help of a friend and a rented appliance dolly it went down the stairs smoothly and was safely in the basement shop in less than 5 minutes. The stripped down cabinet weighed 160 pounds and the dolly weighed another 40. Everything else was carried down piece by piece, heaviest were the motor and top at about 70 pounds each.

Assembly
    I had to reassemble the top and motor but first I checked the trunion bolts were all tight. The motor is a two person job so my dear wife was recruited to drop the mounting pin while I held the motor in position. She also helped out with the table extensions. Everything else I could do solo. The Grizzly assembly instructions are outstanding and there were no missing parts. Grizzly also provides a set of metric allen wrenches that are needed for assembly.

Most of the assembly was straight forward but a few things were a little more involved. Getting the table extensions level was a two step process. They both needed to be shimmed with masking tape, so they had to be removed, shimmed, and reinstalled. Rail installation was also a two step process, aligning before and then again after the extension table was installed. Aligning the extension table with the saw table also took several cycles. This was more involved because the table legs are a little long. This left little room for height adjustment which is further complicated with the mobile base extension kit, because access for an adjusting wrench is very tight. Later when setting up the fence, the table alignment needed to be adjusted again.

Riving knife alignment is tricky and there’s a bit more to it than was described in the instructions. That said, I’m not sure how better to describe it. It just took a bit longer to figure out how to adjust the 4 adjusting screws and 2 locking screws.

The blade wasn’t parallel to the miter slot so the top needed to be shifted. Would have been easier if I did this before installing the rails and extension table, but still not too difficult. Adjusting the fence level and table clearance took a few cycles to get right. Back of fence is towed 1/64 away from parallel with the miter slot. One gripe is the fence cursor line is wavy and looks like it was hand painted. I need to call Grizzly and see about a replacement.

The saw comes with a 6’ power cord, which (for me) was useless. I replaced it with a 15’ cord and cheapo 20 amp plug from Home Depot.

Something amusing that I found in the manual, after I was done: Estimated assembly time - 1 hour. It took me an hour just to get everything unpacked! Then another 8 to 10 hours to assemble and adjust.

Initial operation
    So far I’m extremely happy. First project was an outfeed table made by repurposing a reject kitchen cabinet carcass with a top using a modular office desk top. I added a support frame with casters underneath to be able to wheel the table around the shop and toggle clamps at the corners to level the table with the saw. I’ll later add drawers and doors to the cabinet. Also need to add miter slots to the table top.

The saw runs very smooth with plenty of power. I used a cheapo craftsman 200T plywood blade for cutting the 1.125” particle board top. Two passes from opposite sides, so not that much of a test. But the cuts were nice and smooth. The combo blade Grizzly provided seems fine, but I replaced it with a Freud 50T combo blade (the Sears $7.99 clearance special from a few months ago) and it does a nice job.

So far I’m real happy with the whole Grizzly experience.

Here are a couple pics.

DSC_0420.jpgDSC_0417.jpg

Steve

Love the outfeed table.

Love the saw.

Congrats on a great new purchase. Enjoy it !

10 chinese helpers = 1 hour set up. 1 wife = 10 hours.

Steve, How do you like the Shop Fox mobile base you set the saw on?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I think the Shop Fox base is very good.
    Well made, very solid, and goes together well.
    Moves freely and the leveling feet work well and anchor it solidly.

The extension kit for the side table is also well built.
    A small problem with a couple holes not aligning so they needed to be drilled out to next larger size for the bolts to align properly.

The extension bar - instructions say to cut it to length to suit your table size. I didn't do that and as a result for the legs are skewed out about an inch from plumb. I may go back and cut the bar to plumb the legs.

As I mentioned in the 0691 review, the legs are a little long and adjusting the height is difficult because of limited access around the foot sitting in the channel for the extension kit.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Steven,

That's a fine looking saw.

Very useful outfeed table.

PHM

That's one fine looking saw and outfeed table! The rest of your shop looks immaculate as well!

Good job, Steve! How thick is the top on the extension table cabinet? Make sure it is either supported well, or add some ply underneath to make sure after you route/cut the miter slots that it won't try to fold where the wood is thin. Looks great. You'll quickly learn to appreciate the cabinet on the extension table when you get drawers in it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim

The outfeed table top is 1 1/8" thick particle board. I added an extra cross piece to the cabinet carcass for better support. Each of the two top pieces is screwed to the cabinet carcass (from underneath into the top) at 8 points, so it's pretty solid.

Steve

That will work! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

how do you use the miter gauge with no miter slots in the extension table?

Adding miter slots (plus drawers and doors) are next on the to do list.

great lookng saw and a really nice set up. that shop looks quite spacious and indescently clean. i notice that there is a "clamp" on the bottom of each leg of the outfeed table. what are they there for?

Thanks!
    The shop got a cleaning before getting photographed.
    It's 22' x 20' so it's spacious for what I need.
    There's a pile of stickered wood in one corner waiting for me to tackle my Roubo bench plans but first I want to finish the outfeed table drawers and doors and also a cyclone separator (ala Thein) for my dust collector.

Table is on wheels and top is about 1/2" below the saw top.
    Clamps are to level the table with the saw top and to keep it from rolling when I don't want it to.

Steven, I have had the same saw for a couple of years now and have had no issues at all. You made a great choice. Congrats!