Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more $500 shop vac

No more $500 shop vac

One of our members recently posted Festool Problems

I have a Festool vacuum, CT22. It is a few years old, but I don't think it has a lot of use. The problem; it will run for about 3 minutes and then shut down, after a few minutes it will run again for another 3 minutes. I removed filters and bag thinking maybe a clog was over heating it, no...

I have to admit it really ticks me off to hear of a fellow Creeker spending $500.00 for a shop vac! Then the $500.00 shop vac stops working after a couple years of moderate use. And whats Festool's answer? Buy a new motor from us for another $130.00!

Well, Before any more of our members run out and buy $500 dollar shop vacs I would like to point something out. For less than the price of the Festool replacement motor that apparently you need to buy every three years or so, you can buy a Rigid Model # WD1250 12 gallon and plug it into an i-socket tool and vacuum switch. The Festool ct22 is rated at 137 cfm. The Rigid is rated at a higher 168 cfm. I have My old $49 Rigid 9 gallon plugged into an i-socket. Its still going strong four years out. Total out of pocket - $86.00
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-13-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Yeah, lets all boycott Festool because of one unsubstantiated complaint!

A year ago I was in need of replacing a many years old Sears wetvac. I've written about this a few months ago. I ended up with the Rigid 14gal version, as at that level they add several upgrades to their machine including a quieter motor and much improved and easy to remove locking mechanism for their top. It absolutely works like a charm. I also attached a Dust Deputy to it and it still rolls around with ease. I admire the Festool system, but I think this has got it beat bang for buck.

Well Johnny...if Richard Wolf said it's so...............it's substantiated. His integrity is never in question.

But.... I fail to see why it matters if I want to spend $500 for a shop vac or $86 for a shop vac........ there is no morale high ground here......

A single failure of a tool by any manufacturer is hardly an indication of any significant trend or worry.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-14-2011 at 1:45 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by michael case View Post
    One of our members recently posted Festool Problems

I have a Festool vacuum, CT22. It is a few years old, but I don't think it has a lot of use. The problem; it will run for about 3 minutes and then shut down, after a few minutes it will run again for another 3 minutes. I removed filters and bag thinking maybe a clog was over heating it, no...

I have to admit it really ticks me off to hear of a fellow Creeker spending $500.00 for a shop vac! Then the $500.00 shop vac stops working after a couple years of moderate use. And whats Festool's answer? Buy a new motor from us for another $130.00!

Well, Before any more of our members run out and buy $500 dollar shop vacs I would like to point something out. For less than the price of the Festool replacement motor that apparently you need to buy every three years or so, you can buy a Rigid Model # WD1250 12 gallon and plug it into an i-socket tool and vacuum switch. The Festool ct22 is rated at 137 cfm. The Rigid is rated at a higher 168 cfm. I have My old $49 Rigid 9 gallon plugged into an i-socket. Its still going strong four years out. Total out of pocket - $86.00
    The Festool vac that was in the other thread was over 3 years old because Festool has a 3 year warranty on there tools. When any product that is out of warranty & something fails, the owner has to pay for the parts if they want it fixed, no matter if it is the highest priced or the lowest priced. It also sounds like the current owner of the vac was not the original owner because he stated he did not think it had been used much. If he is not the original owner, then he has no idea how the vac was used before he got it. The problem could have been caused be miss use by the original owner.
    The current owner also does not state how long he has owned the vac. Could it be that he recently bought it used thinking he got a great deal & when it turns out he did not, people want to jump on & bash a band name. Every company has failures in their products no matter if they are the highest priced or the lowest price. I know this because every company sells replacement parts.

maybe the part that shuts it off from too much heat is defective. I wonder how hot it gets?

Quick, everyone send me your unreliable and potentially dangerous Festool equipment before it's too late.

I've got an old PC with the tool triggered switch on board. served me well for about ten years now. It was a little pricey though, the DW sander and it cost about $800 together. I've used the fool out of both of 'm though, both still going strong.
    Mick

How you doing John? Your humor is good as always!

The only potential danger from Festool is to your wallet. However, you can't have my domino because it still works. This is the second one. The first was a quality control disaster. Its probably been cannibalized for parts. Maybe the motor ended up in a shop vac? But don't weep yet, there's a slightly used Festool shop vac out there that needs some TLC. You might pick up cheap. Keep me laughing!
    Last edited by michael case; 04-14-2011 at 7:34 AM.

Just a few points to clear things up. I am the original of the vac, it was my opinion that I have not used it very often. Not for long durations or heavy use. I was just looking to see if it was a problem that others have experienced. I always try to purchase good equipment, because spending time repairing tools in a pro shop can become very time consuming, equals money.
    At this point I haven't decided what to do, but it seems likely I will replace the motor.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Quick, everyone send me your unreliable and potentially dangerous Festool equipment before it's too late.
    Thanks for that John, first smile of the day!!

IF you get overloaded, PM me and I'll give you my shipping address!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    Every company has failures in their products no matter if they are the highest priced or the lowest price. I know this because every company sells replacement parts.
    HAh, isn't that the truth.

I'm very happy with my Fein hooked up to a sander, and absolutely love my Ridgid toolbox style vac for jobsites.

If I need a replacement for either, I'll look very closely at Festool.

While I disregard a single bad experience, on this thread we have 3--The thread starters, R. Wolfs and M. Case whose first one was a "quality control disaster".

Since the Festool is a "very expensive tool" those who say anything bad can expect a hard time from those who are loyal owners. But I appreciate when they stand up to this predictable flack and post experiences.

-Steve

When I purchased my Festool vac, I thought that I would decommission my large Craftsman. I chose not to because it moves so much air compared to the festool. I connected my craftsman to small cyclone and I use that for the bundles of shavings that end up all over, I connect it to my home made router table fence... things like that. I like that the festool is very quit while I am sanding, using my Kreg jigs, and other hand tools; and, it has variable suction, which I need for some of these applications. I connected my HUGE vac to a sander once, um, well, boy, that sander really cling to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    When I purchased my Festool vac, I thought that I would decommission my large Craftsman. I chose not to because it moves so much air compared to the festool. I connected my craftsman to small cyclone and I use that for the bundles of shavings that end up all over, I connect it to my home made router table fence... things like that. I like that the festool is very quit while I am sanding, using my Kreg jigs, and other hand tools; and, it has variable suction, which I need for some of these applications. I connected my HUGE vac to a sander once, um, well, boy, that sander really cling to the board.
    Andrew, your Festool vac likely has pretty much the same cfm as your Craftsman, the difference is the size hose. The Festool vac comes with a 1 1/4" hose and your Craftsman a 2 1/2" hose so of course it's going to move more air.

Blog Entries
    Static pressure is the critical rating for shop vacs if you're connecting them to hand held tools, not CFM (like a large DC). Also, dropping a HEPA filter into a vacuum doesn't ensure that the entire system is HEPA rated.

The Rigid has lower static pressure ratings but higher CFM #s than Fein or Festool. This means that it is better suited for general shop cleanup & connecting to large tools (contractor saw, etc.) while the Fein and Festool are optimal for use with hand held equipment. I've noticed blow-through of dust on the Rigid (i.e. dust in the air after vacuuming) while the Fein and Festool keep the dust in the vac. Having said that, the Rigid is an excellent value for the $$$.