Thread: Tell me about my chisels

Tell me about my chisels

On my quest for affordable tools I picked up these 13 Marples chisels in sizes 1/8 - 2 inch and would like to know about the quality of them etc. I am familiar with the Blue Chips that you guys mention all the time but haven't seen these before. I think they have boxwood handles on them. I bought them from a seller on ebay who had only one size listed. I asked if they had any more and he had what you see here. I bought all he had. I picked them up for $48 shipped and they are brand new. Some are marked hand forged and the others aren't. I ended up with extras in 1/8, 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2". I'll probably keep them as I will always have extra sharp chisels ready to go. I am only missing the 5/8 and 1 1/4 to complete the set. Thanks for your help.

Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Swafford; 01-30-2005 at 12:35 AM.

Hi Shawn:

I don't know for sure, but I'd wager that the metal in those chisels is substantially the same as the well-regarded Blue chips. And I must say the boxwood handles certainly look beautiful. The handle design, without leather washers, bolsters etc. won't take a tremendous amount of abuse however. Whatever you do, don't use a hammer on them. A wooden or better yet a rawhide mallet will maximize their life.

I think you did great; those chisels will certainly last you well past the point where you might begin to appreciate something even better.

Your next step is to settle on a sharpening system. Waterstones, scary sharp, oilstones, diamond hones, ceramic sharpers.... There's a whole gamut of possibilities, each with their proponents. The best advice I can give is to on one and stick with it. Any will give you a terrific edge, but it takes time to get proficient at any particular sharpening method. Don't abandon one system for another, at least not for the first year or so.

HTH,
    Marc

I have the set of blue and let me tell you scary sharp does just that scary sharp. nice chisels.

The proof is in their use. No telling, otherwise, as that design has been made for decades. From here, the steel finish looks better than the new ones and I suspect you may have a real bargain there.

I has a set of 1970-vintage Footprints identical to those that were great chisels I used almost daily until recently when I replaced them with Swans and Witherbies...which are prettier, but don't really work any better.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks guys. I had a feeling they were probably just rehandled blue chips. I think for the money they will make a real nice set. Thanks for the input.

Shawn,
    You got a bargain! I have several of the same type (not a complete set) of the same chisels. They hold an edge well, should work well for you. I wish the Irwin (who bought the Marples brand) would make them again. For less than $4 a chisel you didn't go wrong.
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

Shawn,

Very nice! You did real good. I sent you a pm.

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

John, I sent you a p.m.

Shawn,

I have an identical set...minus the 1/8...and I use these regularly in the shop. They're great chisels...rehandled blues or not, they do keep an edge relatively well and simply need minor rehoning once in a while when using super hard woods. Excellent buy!!!
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

$48? I hate you.

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    $48? I hate you.

Maurice
    Now I KNOW I did well