Thread: Dust collection

Dust collection

I am getting tired of continually emptying bags from my dust collector and I am wondering if I just ran it through the wall and out doors, would it make it more efficient. I now that its air flow is based on rpm and size of the fan. However that is based on zero pressure.
    Like any non positive displacement pump output is affected by pressure and without the back pressure of the air filter the flow would would be greater. I would build a bin outdoors with louvers and non restrictrive screening. Also I live in the country and dont have neibors to complain. Am I on the right track.

This is what I eventually plan to do:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ust-Collection

Barry-

Lots of WWs do exactly that.

It may be best done, though, if you use a chip separator before the DC, allowing you to vent ONLY the "fines" to the outside.

There's also a lingering question about .... exhausting conditioned (heated or cooled) air from your workshop, if you HAVE heating or a/c IN your workshop.

The theory is ... you'll put more load ON the heating/cooling if you DO exhaust that air FROM your shop.

I'm not positive that issue is settled, but ... intuitively ... it makes sense to me

Good luck !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    The theory is ... you'll put more load ON the heating/cooling if you DO exhaust that air FROM your shop.

I'm not positive that issue is settled, but ... intuitively ... it makes sense to me
    There's no theory about it, it's pretty cut and dry. Leave the doors/windows to your shop open during a freezing/hot day and see if the heat/AC doesn't have to run extra hard to change that temp. And that's not even forced air.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    There's no theory about it, it's pretty cut and dry. Leave the doors/windows to your shop open during a freezing/hot day and see if the heat/AC doesn't have to run extra hard to change that temp. And that's not even forced air.
    I actually agree 100%, but ... having seen others vehemently argue the point ... I figured softening the delivery MIGHT help avoid a war

To put exactly how much cooling is lost into perspective, the typical AC system moves approx 400cfm's per ton of cooling. Take a 2hp dust collector moving 1500cfm and you have roughly the equivalent of 3 1/2 tons of cooling leaving the building whenever the DC is running. That can get expensive....