Thread: Shop Wiring pull question

Shop Wiring pull question

I'm installing PVC conduit for a 220V run for my new jet TS. From the panel I have 3 90 degree bends - one sweep & two circular junction boxes for future expansion. (I'll never have more than one 220 machine on at a time). As to pulling the wire, I was thinking of fishing from the saw receptacle all the way back to the panel & pulling the wire straight through with no breaks, then going to each of the junction boxes & pulling back a foot or so slack & just coiling it in the box for future cutting. Is this the right way to go about the pull or should I pull from each junction & break the wires instead?

Definitely. The fewer unnecessary splices the better. Also pulling back some slack gives you options later. You probably don't need a foot, but I would rather be a foot too long, than an inch too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Palmer View Post
    Definitely. The fewer unnecessary splices the better. Also pulling back some slack gives you options later. You probably don't need a foot, but I would rather be a foot too long, than an inch too short.
    Thanks Doug for the confirmation

I'd do the same as Doug, FWIW.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

That is the best way, there is no reason to cut and spliceand if you do you cannot cover the junction box. Just make sure your junction box is deep enough to accomadate the extra wiring with plenty of dead space. You can always add depth extensions if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Palmer View Post
    ....... I would rather be a foot too long, than an inch too short.
    Heh-heh-heh. I can personally vouch for that. Wire is cheap, and life is too short. Live + learn.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.