Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying my first serious vac. Thoughts on Fein vs Festool?

Thinking of buying my first serious vac. Thoughts on Fein vs Festool?

I'm looking into buying my first serious vac.

Currently, I've heavily considering the new festool HEPA vacs or the new fein HEPA vacs with variable suction. Either one will be connected to a dust deputy (systainer or not) and used as my primary dust collection (I'll also use a lee valley "Air Demo Bag" and a box fan, or simply open the garage door).

Any thoughts on this?

This will probably be the most expensive purchase in my scrappy shop.

Oh, and the following:
    1. I hate loud noises.
    2. I'm mostly neander, but will be using a bandsaw, wagner safety planer, and plan to buy the new festool sander. Maybe I'll get a lathe or stationary belt sander.
    3. I'm on a budget (pay mortgage), but willing to spend more if there is a significant improvement in outcome. It it's just looks or a brand-name, no thanks.
    4. I'm totally just a hobbyist.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate your input. If you know of a lower price option, I'd really like to know!

Matt,

I've owned a Festool C22 for about 6 years now, and it was one of my best woodworking purchases. I've used it successfully with a DW biscuit joiner, Festool saws and vacs, and with the boom arm was just a great combo.
    I recently purchased a DW D27905 (non-HEPA). To tell you the truth, if I had bought this first I don't think I would have bough the Festool. Like the Festool it seems half as loud as my old RIDGID. The one area where the Festool is clearly superior is the hose, as it is head and shoulders above the DeWalt. But if you are ok with the hose on the DW you can save some $$ and still be happy.

Good Luck,

Pete

I've heard good things about the Fein. I have the Festool with a clearvue mini cyclone. Similar to the dust deputy but not offered anymore. I never change the bag. My hepa filters also stay very very clean. I've been very happy with the Festool. I like that the top is flat, and I can mount my barrel and cyclone to the top and still be able to move it around as a single unit. Its also pretty quiet, especially if you dial the power down, which I often do. I also like plugging my tools like a sander info the vac, so the vac starts when I turn on the tool.

The Festool vac is expensive though and if the Fein is much cheaper I'm sure it would work for you.

I also have a shopvac that I lent to a friend. I hope to never get it back. Too noisy, too hard to clean.

~mark

Both are a good choice. I think you expect a Festool sander in your future you'd be better served with the Festool since the hose will connect perfectly. Also, the Fein and Festool are about the same price.

That's pretty fast.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven't heard the festool in action, but an old timer at Japan woodworker swears by it.
    My friend's fein, however, has served her very, very well and is stunningly quiet.

Festool

I have the Festool Mini just for sanders, its great. There quite, plus being able to adjust the amount of suction. For a lathe you might need a dust collector or a Cyclone to remove the large particles because bag could become expensive

Matt, I have heard both at a tool store, and the Fein was definitely quieter on the highest setting, not so different on the low.
    I forgot to say like another poster said, never underestimate how convenient the flat top on the Festool is.

I have had my Fein vacs for about 15 years,2 at work and 1 at home. They are quiet and very powerful. They are very satisfactory,and I see no need to pay more money for a Festool.

George, if you recommend it, it must be pretty good.
    It's like Michael Jordan recommending a basketball!

Are there any differences between the Turbo I, II and III (aside from size)?

Again, this will be pretty much always connected to an Oneida dust devil (mini cyclone).
    I'd buy a mini-clearvue, but they're not available.

-Matt

ps. I'm still going to drop in and check out a festool vac in person, although I'm currently leaning towards the fein.

I realy like my Turbo 3 Fien, It is very quiet. I was told the only difference between the Turbo 2 and 3 was the canister size supposibly the same motor. If this is correct the Turbo 2 wuld have a lower center of gravity. My 3 can be tippy. The fein uses a seperate fan for the motor and suction so it will not over heat if the hose is stuck to something or gets plugged. If I put a Dust deputy with it I think I would want a cart like I have seen others make. This would make for a much larger footprint though.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

If you ever might have to carry it up stairs, the Fein is the clear choice. Other than that ...

I recently got a Fein Turbo I (didn't want the larger size). This was added to my arsenal of a similarly sized Shopvac, a much larger 16 gal Ridgid shopvac, a 2HP Harbor Freight DC, and a Jet air cleaner.

The Fein gets the most use because the DC is just too loud to run often (my home is attached on both sides to neighbors' homes), as are the other shopvacs. I can hook my Fein up to my bandsaw or Ridgid sander (both tools which are pretty quiet on their own) and collect much of the dust without adding additional noise. It's not 100% collection, but combined with the air cleaner (also quiet), it's pretty good and infinitely better than no collection at all. I also frequently hook it up to my router table.

I'm pretty sure the Festool would be just as quiet. I liked the smaller footprint of the Turbo I for my cramped and cluttered shop.

Must be about fifteen years on my Fein, contractor use, and no problems. If it blew up today it doesn't owe me anything.

Never used a Festool, don't know how they compare.

When I got mine I looked at Fein and Festool. Price at that time for whatever model I was looking at in the Fein line was almost the same as the Festool but I don't know if that's changed. Three things sold me on the Festool, first being the flat top for Systainer storage. I don't use it for that anymore except when taking tools out of the shop but now my Dust Deputy snaps on there. Second was the low center of gravity design and the fact that the hose connects low--no tipping if you tug it around by the hose. Last was the big back wheels. I can snap on some systainers on and roll it across the grass dolly-style no problem.

I had a Fein Turbo II for 10 years, and currently own two Festool CT22's.

I loved that Fein vac. Durable as heck, easy cord wrap, cheap bags, long hose - did I say quiet?

I only sold it because I already had a CT22 and having two of the same (one for trailer, one for shop) made more sense. Plus, my Fein wasn't a variable speed, so not so great for sanding.

The Fein was quieter than the Festool, no doubt.

The Festool's are handier, though bulkier and a bit inconvenient to carry. The flat top is nice, if you plan on wheeling it to and from jobs - even without systainers, it's a handy surface to stack up cases and roll them from the trailer to a job.

I've found the CT not to be as durable - first week I had mine, one of the little tabs that hold a systainer to it broke off.

MOST important - that nobody usually mentions - is that the Fein is rated with the highest amperage tool outlet of any of the vacs. (Or at least it used to be).

My Turbo II had a plug rated for a 19amp tool - my CT22 has a plug that is rated for a 10.5amp tool.

The Festool CT22's (not sure about the new CT26's) have had major issues with their outlets as well - currently, when I plug a tool into my CT, the plug is as loose as can be. Granted, Festool sent me a new outlet insert right away, but are they going to keep doing that if I continue to have problems? My Fein vac, which was a demo when I bought it 10 years ago, never gave me a problem with the outlet in the time I used it.

Both have efficient bags and filter systems, though the Festool bags are way expensive at $6-7 each. I was able to find Fein bags for 3 for $10.

Don't even consider the Festool hose to be a benefit - it's rediculously short and even stupider in it's small diameter at the end - it's got about a 1" diameter ID at most.

You'll not be using the Festool hose for general shop cleanup. The Fein's hose is a very nice length and has an ID closer to 1 1/2" I think. As for mating up with the sanders, Fein makes a very nice quality vac hose step adapter that's only about $5-7 that fits the Fein end perfectly and fits the Festool ports perfectly.

If I didn't need it for systainers or color or a color-matched shop - I'd get the new Fein vacs, hands down. I'm sure they are cheaper as well, because unlike Festool, they don't regulate their prices.

I do have a lot of Festools though, and having a 5' stack of systainers parked on the vac at the end of the day on a job makes for a very professional & organized appearance which appeals to many clients.

Julian
    Last edited by Julian Tracy; 04-15-2011 at 8:00 AM.