Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hybrid Saw

Cary - your G1023 setup is exactly what I am looking for. I'm getting ready to buy a G1023 but I'm a little put-off by the 26" rip capacity. Where did you get that extended table? The only extended table I see on Grizz's site is twice that length, and that's just a little too much for me. Did you make it yourself? Where did you get the longer fence rails?

Grizzly 1023RL

I bought a G1023RL just a couple of months ago and am extremely satisfied. It was an upgrade from a Craftsman hybrid which was an upgrade from a Delta contractor saw. I made the jump to the hybrid to save money and regretted spending almost the same money. You won't be disappointed in the 1023rl.

I did swap the ShopFox fence for a Biesemeyer which I had before and just love it. The Beisemeyer gives me a 30.5 inch capacity as oppposed to the 26" on ShopFox. That 4+" makes a difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dreyer View Post
    Cary - your G1023 setup is exactly what I am looking for. I'm getting ready to buy a G1023 but I'm a little put-off by the 26" rip capacity. Where did you get that extended table? The only extended table I see on Grizz's site is twice that length, and that's just a little too much for me. Did you make it yourself? Where did you get the longer fence rails?
    Jason,
    I shifted the standard 26" rip tube over to the right. I now have about 34-36" rip. The table I made myself. It is MDF covered in formica.
    Cary

I have the new grizzly polar bear hybrid, runs on 220. love it but in retrospect would have/should have picked up 3 HP cabinet.....still happy but............

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Jason,
    I shifted the standard 26" rip tube over to the right. I now have about 34-36" rip. The table I made myself. It is MDF covered in formica.
    Cary
    Jason - I did the same to my Shop Fox W1677 and to my Cman 22124...gained 10" both times by sliding to the right the distance of one bolt hole. It's very simple to do and didn't require any drilling that way.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hey that's a great idea. I think I might have to do that myself, since the 26" capacity was the ONLY thing I did not like about this saw. Doesn't it throw off the measurement strip, though? Or is that something that gets applied to the tube after assembly?

Cary or Scott,

Could either of you say a bit more about moving over the rails? I've read a few threads about moving the rails on other saws (like G0690), but it looks like it might be a bit different on this saw / fence. From the Shop Fox Classic manual it looks like the cutouts in the angle bracket for the miter slots would need to be added. Did you cut out your own?

Any suggestions or observations would be most appreciated. Like Jason, I liked everything about G1023RL except 26" rip, but I ordered it yesterday anyway! I am planning to move the rails once I get a closer look. (Appologies for the stealth pre-gloat. I promise to follow up with pictures and comments once it
    arrives.)

Jason - you can buy after-market stick on measuring strips from Woodcraft, Rocker, etc. since you'd want it to go past 26" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunt View Post
    I liked everything about G1023RL except 26" rip, but I ordered it yesterday anyway!
    I'm jealous. I've still got at least a couple of months to wait, probably more like 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunt View Post
    Jason - you can buy after-market stick on measuring strips from Woodcraft, Rocker, etc. since you'd want it to go past 26" too.
    Yeah, I guess I shoulda figured there would be something like that available out there. Guess I didn't think that one through. :-)

Jason - Install the front angle bracket per the instructions with the miter slot cut outs lined up. Same with the back rail. Then instead of mounting the front rail guide per the instructions, slide it to the right by one bolt hole...you'll end up mounting it with 4 bolts instead of 5...still very secure. Then mount the measuring tape. It's as easy as that. You can fill the gap between the front and back rails with an optional extension table or router table if you want to.

This pic might help illustrate:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-29-2011 at 4:12 PM. Reason: pic
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Rick,
    The method Scott describes is the easiest. Since I was adding the JessEm slider, I went ahead and drill new holes in the angle iron and cut new slots for the miter slots. A metal blade in a jig saw made quick work of the slots. I drilled the holes using a drill press. It was a little time consuming but not bad.

Many thanks Scott and Cary! Very helpful information. -Rick