Thread: What a dumb design.

What a dumb design.

Powermatic Model 66 tablesaw. Not cutting consistantly. I can put a small amount of pressure on the arbor prying against the table top, then raise/lower the blade and I can make the whole thing shift in either direction about an 1/8". So a total of ~1/4".

go here: http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/ima...07c16225ce0512

Page 26, part number 26. The hole assembly is sliding left to right on shaft pn#40. There is a clip that snaps onto the shaft on the left (When looking at the saw from the operating position) I can't see what holds it on other than that clip.... There is a spacer in the diagram, but my other pm66 does not have that either.

Any idea's? I'm I being to vague?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Powermatic Model 66 tablesaw. Not cutting consistantly. I can put a small amount of pressure on the arbor prying against the table top, then raise/lower the blade and I can make the whole thing shift in either direction about an 1/8". So a total of ~1/4".

go here: http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/ima...07c16225ce0512

Page 26, part number 26. The hole assembly is sliding left to right on shaft pn#40. There is a clip that snaps onto the shaft on the left (When looking at the saw from the operating position) I can't see what holds it on other than that clip.... There is a spacer in the diagram, but my other pm66 does not have that either.

Any idea's? I'm I being to vague?
    Nothing wrong with the design. On page 13, figure 21, item B is the setscrew that locks the arbor in the proper position. Tighten that set screw and the arbor will not move back and forth. Note, this is best adjusted with the table top off the saw, both for access to the set screw, AND so you can see that the pulley on the arbor and the motor are aligned so there is no wear on the belts. (This is also shown on the page 26 diagram and would be setscrew 34 which tightens against spacer 54)

OOPS: I misread what was sliding on which shaft, but Chris has it correct with his picture. I may be overlooking it (holding my head tilted looking at the drawing, but I do not see that set screw in the drawing, but it IS there).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-15-2011 at 8:15 PM.

There is a set screw that locks the #26 bearing arm to the #40 pivot shaft behind the #31 dust chute.

Last edited by Chris Rosenberger; 04-15-2011 at 6:41 PM.

I had a similar issue with my 66 a few years back and it came down to item #43, the two piece "retainer ring clip" that keeps shaft 40 in place. 1/2 of the two piece ring had dropped into the floor of the cabinet, and it was really screwing things up. I called WMH tech service, and basically asked " Are you bleep bleepity bleeping kidding me with this weak moronic retainer ring design? Who the bloop bleeping blip thought that was a good idea?" So I replaced it with a $,75 solid retainer ring from tractor supply, never had the problem since. If the whole arbor arm assembly is in fact sliding back and forth on shaft #40, it may be this #43 retainer to blame, so check that, and if you find half of a clip sort of hanging in there, don't be surprised. Or if you don't find any retainer ring but realize the shaft has a slot milled for one once you bang it back to its original location, don't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    There is a set screw that locks the #26 bearing arm to the #40 pivot shaft behind the #31 dust chute.
    EUREKA! I couldn't see that in the exploded view. That makes sense, having nothing to index it on the shaft makes no sense and is stupid.

Peter- I did the same thing with my other saw. I found half of the retainer in the bottom of the saw as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    EUREKA! I couldn't see that in the exploded view. That makes sense, having nothing to index it on the shaft makes no sense and is stupid.

Peter- I did the same thing with my other saw. I found half of the retainer in the bottom of the saw as well.
    There is a flat area on the shaft to index the set screw. The flat spot is wide to allow for side to side adjustment of the bearing arm.