Thread: Teak Speargun

Teak Speargun

Here is a little something im sure Sawmillcreek hasnt seen much of. It still needs one more coat of finish, but I am very impatient and snapped a few pics. Its nothing fancy, and my craftmanship isnt even close to what I am used to seeing here on the board, but I figured I would post up what I make in my small shop.

I want to progress from this to one day making furniture, but that will come in time as I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for looking, John K
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're being modest. I think your craftsmanship is excellent.

John, that really looks fun. Happy fishing and congratulations on a beautiful piece of woodworking.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

How do you install the bands? Am I missing the slot? Dan

I'd say your craftsmanship is just fine! Let's see your first catch with it!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    How do you install the bands? Am I missing the slot? Dan
    There is no slot. Most guys that spearfish a lot, tie their own bands to get them just the right length, and also because it is significantly cheaper. This way you just tie one end, pull it through and then tie the other end. Also it keeps the muzzle a lot stronger, which is a good thing since there can be upwords of 400lbs pulling against it.

OK.. that makes sense. Never even thought about making your own bands. I used to spearfish alot, but I always used a band with a metal ..whatever. Just have a simple AB Biller 48. I have a trigger mechanism a friend gave me, but I haven't gotten around to building a gun yet. Too many other hobbies getting in the way.

Anyway, I'm inspired.

BTW, I have a blank of Delrin ( I think) for the barrel. Is it worth using or is their advantages to sticking with just the wood?

Thanks, Dan

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Ramer View Post
    You're being modest. I think your craftsmanship is excellent.
    As do I.
    And you're right John, we don't see many spear guns!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney