Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An afternoon with Chris Schwarz

An afternoon with Chris Schwarz

Spent the Afternoon today with Chris Schwarz at the Popular Woodworking shop here in Cincinnati. He talked about his new tool chest book that is going to press tomorrow. He went into great detail on how his chest is built. Very interesting person to listen to. The detail he goes into is amazing. Here are a few photo's I would like to share.

IMG_0737_4.jpgIMG_0735_2.jpgIMG_0736_3.jpgIMG_0734_1.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Looks like you had a great time. I had hoped to make it up, but the week go too busy. Hopefully I can make the next event they have.

Very cool, Dave. Are those copies of The Joiner and Cabinet Maker on the bench?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Very cool, Dave. Are those copies of The Joiner and Cabinet Maker on the bench?

Mike
    Yes it is,The first two stacks in the pic is the book. "The Essential Woodworker" the third stack is "The joiner and cabinet maker"

I have my autographed , off his workbench, book in hand as I write this.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Yes it is,The first two stacks in the pic is the book. "The Essential Woodworker" the third stack is "The joiner and cabinet maker"

I have my autographed , off his workbench, book in hand as I write this.
    Jealous! Enjoy it, if you haven't already read it. I found it interesting, especially with all the footnotes and extra stuff from Joel and Chris.

Mike

Jeff Miller Rocker

This was in the other room during the event. Seems a shame there wasn't space in the workshop to have it properly displayed since Jeff took the effort to haul it there from Chicago.
    New Canuck Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yang View Post

This was in the other room during the event. Seems a shame there wasn't space in the workshop to have it properly displayed since Jeff took the effort to haul it there from Chicago.
    Its too bad the arms are held together with string. . .

Thats a nice rocker. . .Looks comfortable and well built. Most rockers I see are going for the "delicate" look, and I am always afraid that my skinny rear end will plop onto the floor if I sit down to hard. This one looks solid, yet with a definite masculine elegance.

Will have to think about adding it to the "If I ever have the time and cash" project list. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I stopped in Friday at lunch and hung out for a while - lots of good stuff to see. Chris was a pleasure to talk with as usual. He showed us a picture for the new book he'd just been emailed from the designer; a cool technical-looking cross section shot of the chest with a blueprint draft as the backdrop. 'Said the book would be quite a tome - 300+ pages.

The Daed infills are absolutely beautiful - and smooth curly maple like it's butter.

The word from the horse's (Chris Schwarz's) mouth is the book (The Anarchist's Tool Chest) will be available for sale in 4 weeks from today. His blog will be posting a pre-order with free shipping.
    New Canuck Workshop

I'll echo Ryan's comment on the Daed planes. They are fantastic. It's also nice that Raney's a cool guy, and very passionate about what he does.
    New Canuck Workshop

If I was him I wouldn't have let you bring in a camera.

I also went to the hand tool event on Friday. I work my budget to make a nice purchase at this event in the spring and one at the WIA in the fall. A purchase from Daed will take quite a bit longer though. Everyone there is so willing to share their experiences and skills - it's inspiring and fun. I asked Deneb from Lie-Nielsen a question about sharpening and 45 minutes later and a personal (with about 7 - 8 others) lesson on plane sharpening I was loaded with information. Can't beat it. Plus, many of the books published by the Popular Woodworking press are nicely discounted. It's a great event.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Chris is great. He has his tools out on the bench. Hands you his tools to touch and use. He walks off with everyone at his bench tools out and everything. Does not seem concerned at all. Have to say I would have a hard time doing that myself.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I don't get the attitude of secrecy or the underlying animosity. It seems so counter to the attitude of everyone I met at the show. In any case, I was sure to ask for permission before starting to take any pictures, and Megan was more than happy to oblige.
    Last edited by Andrew Yang; 04-18-2011 at 9:12 PM. Reason: Clarify phrasing
    New Canuck Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yang View Post
    I don't get the attitude of secrecy or the underlying animosity. It seems so counter to the attitude of everyone I met at the show. In any case, I was sure to ask for permission before starting to take any pictures, and Megan was more than happy to oblige.
    Yeah, I think Chris & Co. are genuinely dedicated evangelists in this fine hand tool renaissance - I don't think they'd want to keep anything they do "proprietary".

I don't think posting pics of the chest will keep someone from buying the book, especially since its construction details are only a tiny subset of its theme...