Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An afternoon with Chris Schwarz

Well... Glen is still a self-proclaimed power tool guy. Ryan is accurate in saying it's about more than making a tool chest. Chris says as much on his Lost Art blog.

The Wrong Idea About The Anarchist Tool Chest
    Last edited by Andrew Yang; 04-19-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    New Canuck Workshop

Bickford

Just going through my pics from the show. Matt's a great guy. Like he said at the show, I'm still a few years away from needing/wanting one of his planes. There's a large laundry list of skills and tools that I'm working on using. It was great to hear Chris vouch for his planes during the demo.
    New Canuck Workshop

As for me, seeing the pictures increases my desire to purchase the book. Yes, I could find a way to re-create the picture but I'm sure I'll learn a lot just reading how Chris did it, since I'll naturally be asking myself "why did he do it that way" at each step.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Did he go into any detail about chisel storage in the chest, or does he just store all his on the window rack? I have, uh, a lot of chisels and what I've done works for now as long as I don't get any more. Sure. That's gonna happen...

I didn't pore through his chest since there was usually a crowd gathered around it. I don't recall seeing many if any chisels in the toolchest. I would think his approach would be to have them in a chisel roll if he were placing them in the chest. Otherwise, you're correct, he seems to store them in his window rack. That's where he pulled his Ray-Iles chisel from to show me.
    New Canuck Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Hughes (CA) View Post
    Did he go into any detail about chisel storage in the chest, or does he just store all his on the window rack? I have, uh, a lot of chisels and what I've done works for now as long as I don't get any more. Sure. That's gonna happen...
    I *believe* that chisels were just stored in the trays. He was pretty negative about any fitted solutions for tools, saying that the Seton chest (all french fit) was a bit inefficient in that he couldn't easily add and subtract tools as his work habits changed.

As for having a lot of chisels, part of the point of the book (as I understand it) is that 19th c cabinetmakers would have a surprisingly small selection of tools to do their work. The tools you see in the pictures (some hidden in the lower trays) are pretty much all you'd need, according to Chris. He only had, I believe, five flat-work planes (jack, jointer, smoother, shoulder, plow), albeit he had a full compliment of hollows and rounds.

Details on 'The Anarchist's Tool Chest': http://lostartpress.wordpress.com/20...9s-tool-chest/

We had Chris as a guest speaker last night at the Rochester Woodworkers Society meeting. He spoke for about 1 1/2 hours about Workbenchs and Tool chests. He is a great speaker and funny as well. I glad I was able to catch his lecter.