Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pancake compressor life span?

Pancake compressor life span?

I have a PC pancake compressor. 12 yrs old +/-. Handles everything I need [don't spray finishes....yet]. Blow-off nozzle for dust in oak pores. Light volume air nail/brad. Vehicle tires.

My habit has been to leave it plugged in. A few months ago, it started kicking on to reload the tank more often, then more often, then...

So - a few days ago I replaced every connector: compressor-to-hose; hose-to-blow off nozzle. The situation improved. But - it is still reloading every 8 -10 hours. Drain it every other month or so - less than a cup of nasty rusty condensation - that always seemed "about right" to me.

I have no interest in replacing it anytime soon - when I do, I'll go for a "real" compressor . I have no interest in spending much time nor money on this one - I have more than gotten my money's worth out of it - very happy with how it's worked out over the years - zero complaints.

In the meantime - are there any other quick, inexpensive maintenance items that might/would help? More annoying than anything, and I can unplug it when I leave the shop for the daay - assuming I remember. I figured it is just every 12-yr-old component contributing to slow bleed, but thought I'd ask.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

How about the one-way valve that allows the compressed air in from the piston?

Kent,

I don't know if you have tried this yet but there is a simple and usually effective method for locating the leak. Mix dish detergent and water like you would for blowing bubbles. Apply it to the various fittings and any that are leaking will make bubbles.

Commercially I've seen this as Snoop leak detector but I've never needed to buy the commercial version.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    ......Drain it every other month or so - less than a cup of nasty rusty condensation - that always seemed "about right" to me....
    I feel this is way too much water in a little pancake compressor, and 12+/- years of letting that much moisture fester for a month or two at a time has directly caused the breakdown and failure of the regulator. Simple case of lack of maintenance and it's resultant failure - twelve years isn't bad, considering the amount of water you stored in the system. I'd guess a pancake compressor should drain off a tablespoon or two each time at most. When you decide to move on, be sure to drain your compressor at least every week.

Blog Entries
    Don't have anything new to add, except why on earth do you leave it switched on all the time? These things wear quicker than a larger compressor. 12 yrs is good lifespan. But other than "convenience" why are you wasting electricity keeping it pumped up? I KNOW my wife would beat me if mine came on 2am every night. I'm not a greeny by any means, but I AM cheap. Power it up when you need it and it might last a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    I feel this is way too much water in a little pancake compressor, and 12+/- years of letting that much moisture fester for a month or two at a time has directly caused the breakdown and failure of the regulator. Simple case of lack of maintenance and it's resultant failure - twelve years isn't bad, considering the amount of water you stored in the system. I'd guess a pancake compressor should drain off a tablespoon or two each time at most. When you decide to move on, be sure to drain your compressor at least every week.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, Joe - I'm an idiot. I already knew that - but at least I was up front about it, eh? Where's the "yellow flag" icon for piling on?

Look on the bright side - I've just installed some brand new connectors that I can move to the next one - all is not lost.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

did you use pipe dope on all of the fittings, solder connections will work better but may not be possible if the connections need to be taken apart

Kent, did you replace the drain valve? Most of them are metal to metal seal, and if you had rust in the tank, a flake could have scratched that sealing surface. I only asked, because you didn't mention it in your list of replaced components. BTW I replaced mine with an elbow and extension with a ball valve at the end so I don't have to move it to drain it.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    did you use pipe dope on all of the fittings, solder connections will work better but may not be possible if the connections need to be taken apart

Ray - good point - answer is "yes and no" - it is just the compressor and a good quality 25' hose, so the only connections are the fittings between the compressor and the blow-off nozzle/air nailer/whatever. No pipe dope, but plenty of magical teflon tape - I love that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Kent, did you replace the drain valve? Most of them are metal to metal seal, and if you had rust in the tank, a flake could have scratched that sealing surface. I only asked, because you didn't mention it in your list of replaced components. BTW I replaced mine with an elbow and extension with a ball valve at the end so I don't have to move it to drain it.
    Ok - we're on a roll - Mickey and Ray - two guys in a row giving me help rather than giving me hel* .

Thanks, Mickey - that could be a culprit - it is almost certainly metal-to-metal. And as Joe accurately pointed out - that sucker has spent most of its life swimming/drowning in rusty water. I'll see what it costs - that could end up lowering my daily amortization + electrical operating expenses by one or two tenths of a penny - and then John L [and his lovely missus] would also be happy .

John - you realize I'm just having fun, right?

No problem Kent...the part is pretty cheap, and it's the most overlooked part on most of the smaller compressors. Hope that helped.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    No problem Kent...the part is pretty cheap, and it's the most overlooked part on most of the smaller compressors. Hope that helped.
    the drain valve are overlook on the big compressors too

are you using quick-connect , they are another source of air -leaks

don't think that i would be leaving my compressor "on" 24/7 it can potentially be a fire hazard those things have been known to get hot enough to ignite if something goes wrong and causes the compressor to run continuously unattended

i put mine on a switched outlet and the switch for it and the shop lights are side by side , i just flip both switches off when exiting the shop

Blog Entries
    Yeah, you just funn'n. I'm usually careful to cut mine off as my shop is farther away from house than a garage. Issue is, that if you have a hose connected and it fails, your compressor is running full blast till it dies an un-natural death by overheating. Don't think it could burn anything but itself up, but why take that chance as it is in it's death throes now