Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work In Progress - Quilt Rack

Work In Progress - Quilt Rack

This is built for a nearly 100-year old quilt made by my wife's great-grandmother. Material is Honduras mahogany with black walnut accents. Overall size is 37" high by 40" long by 13 5/8" wide at the feet. Legs are bentwood laminations -- 7 strips 1/8" thick. Crossmembers are triangular for stability. This photo is after the first finish coat -- blo/naphtha/poly plus a few drops of red mahogany stain. It's sitting in the Sun to enhance the color a bit. I'll hand rub a few coats of clear blo/naphtha/poly to finish it.

It will be in the Fine Handcrafted Furniture exhibition at the Florida State Fair in a couple of weeks. I'm also showing a side table and nightstand.

Your comments are very welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Bill

Verry nice,I love the accents.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Bill, that is quite stylish and sleek. A nice decorative piece. Good job.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very nice piece of work Bill. I think your wife's ggrandmother would be real pleased to have her quilt displayed on this. What are the accents made of?
    Also what determined the shape you chose? I notice it closely resembles a fish, a common reference to Jesus.

Bobby

Very nice Bill and a question?

Bill,

Could you post a pick of your set up for the bent lamination? I would really like to see how you did this and a brief description if you have the time to post. That's a really nice looking graceful piece you made there. Great work! Thanks Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby McCarley
    ... what determined the shape you chose? I notice it closely resembles a fish, a common reference to Jesus. ...
    Bobby,

Thank you for your comments.

When my wife, Bobbie, suggested building a quilt rack we did a little brainstorming one evening during dinner. She described something more open than the typical rack and waved her hands through the air in a criss-crossing motion. I played around with a drawing at the computer over the next few days, starting with a radius that would give me a 10"-12" width and about a 36" height. As I tried different ideas, the fish symbol kept surfacing. Although it was not intended at first, the Christian fish symbol is sure to appeal to a lot of people.

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Bill, Could you post a pick of your set up for the bent lamination? I would really like to see how you did this and a brief description if you have the time to post. That's a really nice looking graceful piece you made there. Great work! Thanks Alan
    Alan,

Thank you for your comment. Actually, I posted the setup in another thread showing my vacuum bagging system. Here's the link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...04&postcount=1
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Bill,

Love the quilt rack ! The accents fit it nicely and as always contrasting wood very nice. If you made a few of these and went to a christian church bazaar, you'd sell out very quick !

Keith

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bill, your work is very sleek & graceful. I’m glad my mother-in-law doesn’t know about SMC – she’d want me to make about ten of them. (as if I could!)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    Bill, Love the quilt rack ! The accents fit it nicely and as always contrasting wood very nice. If you made a few of these and went to a christian church bazaar, you'd sell out very quick ! Keith
    Keith,

After the design evolved into the Ichthus, I began to think about how to market to the Christian audience. I'm not sure I could recover my costs at a bazaar, though. What do you think the price point should be?

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Those accents are very cool. I'm tying to figure out how I might have made them without worrying about breaking off at short grain. Were those bent lams as well? Or segments? Solid wood?
    I've been using poly over BLO. Hadn't thought about mixing them together, but that makes tons of sense. What kind of mixture of the BLO/naptha/poly works best?
    Use the fence Luke

That's really beautiful, Bill. Outstanding design, too. It actually looks like a project I'd like to try sometime, too, as I like the idea of the bent laminations, etc.

I get a real "Celtic" feel from it, too, for some reason!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill,

Great design! I really like it ...very unique
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Great looking piece Bill. I could also see that with stained glass in the ends.

How did you do the horizontal pieces? They appear from the pic to be oreinted plumb (90 deg) with the ground but I don't see how they could be anything but at an angle considering the end pieces.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold
    Keith,

After the design evolved into the Ichthus, I began to think about how to market to the Christian audience. I'm not sure I could recover my costs at a bazaar, though. What do you think the price point should be?

Regards,
    What are your costs to make them ?