Thread: "Traditional Dancer"

"Traditional Dancer"

IMG_0796.jpgIMG_0806.jpgIMG_0807.jpgIMG_0798.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0809.jpg

Here is my completed powwow-dancer, a Traditional style dancer. His costume is primarily Northern Traditional or Lakota for this warriors dance. Most carvings I see of Native Americans always have a stoic expression, so I wanted to try something with a smile, an expression of happiness. Dancing has a spiritual aspect but also is a lot of fun for spectators and the dancers. The costumes, the various styles, the movements, and sounds all seemed fascinating as a subject for a carving. I hope I have captured some of the spirit and pageantry of the dance.
    He stands 13 inches tall and about 7 inches wide and is carved from basswood. He is decorated with acrylic paint, brass nails, wire brads, and various separately carved attachments and feathers. You can find additional pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/mpounders1/TraditionalDancer#

Thanks for looking!

Mike you are right. Most dancers look so intense. Nice idea to have one showing some fun in the act.