Thread: Problems attaching a Wynn Filter to my Delta 50-850 DC

Problems attaching a Wynn Filter to my Delta 50-850 DC

I took the Wynn Filter off my Delta 50-850 for the first time so I could take it outside and blow the dust off of it with my compressor.

First Question: How often do you do this? I had emptied the bag twice when it was about half full. I could not believe how much dust was packed into the filter. “Suckage” definitely increased after cleaning the filter.

Removing and replacing the filter was very time consuming. I had made a Thein baffle so it had to be removed to get to the turnbuckles, which btw, I was never happy with. I have read several comments now about how they are oversized and really do not fit correctly on most dc’s and was somewhat relieved to know I was not the only one with this problem. In addition, not having the filter really snug allows for air leakage at the base of the filter. On the website of my local club, one ww was so frustrated he drilled holes through the filter and bolted it to the dc. Regardless, the baffle has to be removed to remove the filter. In my case replacing the baffle requires lining up the screw holes blind while laying on my back – not an ergonomically great option – unless I want to disconnect all the duct and lay the dc on it’s side – also not so easy. Another club member uses pipe clamps on the outside of the filter and was studying adding a long threaded bolt through the center of the dc anchored on the bottom of the baffle. This makes sense, but my baffle is made from 3/8 or 1/4 ” thick tempered board and I’m wondering if it will support the stress. Maybe with a thicker baffle it would work?

Hence, my Second Question: Any thoughts on a quick-change adaption for DC filter removal (pics would be appreciated)?
    Thanks
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Gene-
    I have the same issue on my Delta 50-760. I've been postponing the Thien filter for this very reason.

I ended up caulking my filter to the DC. This makes it impossible to remove but does eliminate ALL air leaks - which is more important to me, since with even a small leak the machine just becomes a dust pump.

To clean the inside, I rap the top with my open hand before bag removal. A lot of the cake falls off and into the bag. Next time I plan to actually roll the compressor to the DC and blow the dust from the outside IN so it dislodges and falls into the bag. I don't believe it's critical to get all of the dust off.

As for the Thien baffle, if mobility is not an issue, I'm not sure there's any benefit to having the baffle right under the unit as long as the total length of hose is not compromised. So, I'm thinking to put my Thien next to the DC, with a flex hose and band clamp from the top of the Thien to the inlet.

My main reason for wanting a separator is to make it easier to empty the bag - not so much to increase airflow.

I'm confused. My Thien baffle is installed just above the lower bag. I have Penn State D.C. which has different internals in the metal funnel than most. Here's my metal funnel upside down. The bolt in the slot has a 1/2" PVC coupling adapter to be a spacer. The metal fasteners are are cross dowels. They're commonly used on knock-down furniture.
    .baffle1.jpg
    Here are a couple of my filter attachment. I put felt weather stripping between the metal funnel and the plywood disk. That seems to form a dust tight seal. The gasket on the filter forms a dust tight seal between the filter and plywood disk.

Filter_hold down.jpgimg_0288.jpg

The metal "chimney" is installed temporarily just to see if it works. It seems to--there's not much getting into the filter. I got the spun bond filter so I can wash it out in addition to vacuuming and blowing with compressed air. If I had to replace it, I'd go washable again even though they're more money. For whatever reason, vacuuming with a brush or blowing with 60 psi compressed air just doesn't seem to get all the dust out.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-19-2011 at 7:58 AM.

Really simple, if you have the room for it, pull the baffle out of your DC, and build a Thien pre-separator with a barrel or trash can or something... Not sure how you managed to pack your filter running a Thien, can only assume you process a LOT more MDF or sand a lot more than I do... I've had mine for 2 years now and every time I look up into the filter, it still looks brand spanking new. My drum keeps getting filled up, but the filter stays clean...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...