Thread: Shellac

Shellac

I use shellac for everything from seal coats to final finishes. As such, I go through it pretty quickly. I just made my second order from the Shellac Shack, and I'm so impressed with Malcolm there that I had to post. If you haven't gone, it's www.shellacshack.com very high quality stuff very reasonably priced, and the service is really good. It's really rare to find such personal and speedy service anymore.

BTW - I have no affiliation with this business.

Well, I use to get my shellac from Patrick Olguin (Paddylac) and since he's involved with shellacshack (at least in spirit) then it's probably pretty good.

Good to know

I love shellac, so it is nice to know of a good source for it.

Thanks
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

It is my favorite "go to" finish for just about everything, and I love using transtints in it as a toner. I just got my order in the mails - only two days wait. As before, great quality flakes. I got one pound each of beige, orange, and garnet. I especially like the garnet. Also, for whatever reason, this shellac seems to dissolve faster than other varieties I have gotten in the store. Who knows, maybe I've got some better alcohol this time around.

what is a good alcohol to use to disolve shellac? Is the Kleen Strip S-L-X Denatured Alcohol that Home depot has in 1 gallon cans usable?

Yep, that works just fine

I should investigate using Shellac. I have avoided it for reasons that it requires mixing.. but if I am to dry turned bowls with a lot DNA anyway, I might as well try it out. Only thing I ask.. as I have not read up on it.. Is it basically water resistant or does it leave white cirlces from drink glasses?

Thanks for the tip.. I will go bookmark it immediately.

Anchor
    A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet.

My next tool will be the last tool I ever need!

Shellac is not waterproof but is a very good finish. I primarily use shellac or lacquer any more for all my finishes. I hate waiting very long on slow drying finishes.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have used shellac both in refinishing some antique chairs, and on several new tables I built and am now building; I love it. I don't have spray equipment so I wipe it on. IMHO it produces a beautiful clear finish that lets the wood show its beauty.

If water is allowed to sit on it for too long it will cause a white haze, but if not severe it can be rubbed out. Since the underlying shellac resin is dissolved by alcohol, alcohol can damage it also. But, while it can be damaged by water and alcohol, it is one of the easiest finishes to repair. Basically, apply more shellac, which melds with the existing shellac to create a new single finish. Not another layer like most (all?) varnishes and polyurethane.

I have only used ready-mixed Zinsser Seal Coat which is clear and unwaxed. It has a shelf life of three years and the cans are date stamped. It is available in quarts and in gallons and is available at Lowes and Home Depot, although they don't seem to have much product turnover and I recently saw a can with a June 2006 date stamp. Because of that, I ordered online from one of the woodworking suppliers, and what I received was very fresh.

Shellac can go bad if it is too old. I've never needed to do it but I have read that it is easy to test shellac to see if it is still good. You put a few drops on a piece of glass and it should harden within a few minutes. If it is still soft or tacky, it may never cure.

Jim