Thread: Lamp parts source: threaded rod, sockets, etc.

Lamp parts source: threaded rod, sockets, etc.

Hi All, I'm building some arts and crafts desk lamps and need a source for lamp parts. Namely I need threaded rod, harps, and sockets. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

When my wife and I made a couple of lamps nearly ten years ago, we found the parts at Home Depot. The didn't have much in the way of choices, but it was available as a package. I'm pretty sure I've seen the kits at Rockler and Woodcraft as well.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Lamp parts

Alan,

Don't know if you ever get to the Williamsburg, VA area, but the Williamsburg Pottery Factory used to have a large supply of lamp making parts. We stopped by this past summer & the place seemed more rundown than usual, but might still be a good source.

Ken

lamp parts

I use nationalartcraft.com

they have lots of lamp kits and very reasonable prices.

bob

Lee Valley has a good supply of parts. Look at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43298

Thanks all. I'm going to check out the info. Merci!

Looks like great info.

Alan,

I got mine at Menards, but if you wanted a bigger selection, Most bigger craft stores have many different styles. Sometimes you have to buy the kit AND buy another threaded rod, if your lamp is too long for the one in the kit. One way to get around that is to epoxy a small length of the rod into the lamp.

8. Source for lamp parts

I am in the process of making two floor lamps in the Arts and Crafts style. I just bought the parts on line at http://www.grandbrass.com/. They even had the "S Cluster" lamp sockets that are commonly used on these lamps. The only thing bad was the $30 shipping charge for $60 worth of parts. They have a good selection and are easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barhorst
    I am in the process of making two floor lamps in the Arts and Crafts style. I just bought the parts on line at http://www.grandbrass.com/. They even had the "S Cluster" lamp sockets that are commonly used on these lamps. The only thing bad was the $30 shipping charge for $60 worth of parts. They have a good selection and are easy to work with.

Hi Ralph,

That's a great site, thanks. I don't understand how they got $30 shipping. It says that a $10 processing fee will be applied to the first order if under $50. I don't get it; that sounds very high unless you ordered some heavy/large pieces. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Lee Valley has a good supply of parts. Look at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43298
    Thanks Frank. I ordered the parts from Lee Valley today.