Thread: Polisher bearing help requested

Polisher bearing help requested

Hi, I'm restoring a vintage craftsman polishing head, it has a shaft that goes through a solid bronze bearing. While cleaning out the oil well, I noticed that the oil well doesn't go through the bronze bearing. I'm no engineer, but I would imagine for the oil well to function, it would require an opening to the shaft so that the oil would coat the shaft during usage. Is this just a manufacturing defect or is this the way it is supposed to be?

oilwell by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

There are bronze bearings that are porous and oil impregnated so don't panic. If it's really pld and improperly designed and built it most likely have self destructed years ago with normal use. Ball bearings have their place but so do bronze and babbitt bearings. Folks think they need expensive linear bearings for sliding mechanisms such as sliding tables for slot mortisers, panel saws and shapers but bronze and plastic bearings are more than adequate and affordable.

Hi, so would I fill the oil well with a viscous oil, say mineral oil?

The bearings on your polishing head are probably made from Oillite, it's a porous material not unlike the sleeve bearings in many small motors. If you have a contractors tablesaw you probably have sleeve bearings. You could use whatever type of oil that is recommended for any type of motor with sleeve bearings. I use some stuff called Pro Gold it's a little pricey but supposed to be good.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

The bearing could be a replacement bronze sleeve. Just finish drilling the hole through it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The bearing could be a replacement bronze sleeve. Just finish drilling the hole through it.
    I wouldn't do that. The bearing wants to be saturated with oil and that is why they put in the oil hole so you can get oil to the center of the bearing. Place a few drops of a light machine oil in the hole every few months to keep the bearing saturated. You can also place a drop or two on teh shaft on each side of the housing if you like. If the fit of the shaft is sloppy in the bearing, you can press out the bearing and replace it for a few dollars at any bearing distributor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    ONLY do this IF you want your oil to be spattered all over your shop ... a drop or two of light motor/machine oil in the well will keep it saturated.