Thread: Soft tool rests on Delta 46-460?

Soft tool rests on Delta 46-460?

I picked up the Delta 46-460 as my first lathe back in January and I love everything about it. However, in that time, being a beginner, I have gotten a few "catches" in the wood as part of my learning process and as a result, it has left dents in my tool rest. As per some suggestions from other turners I decided to file out the dents and add a layer of wax to make the rest nice to smooth again. All this has done is make it even more "soft" and it seems the tools...especially my skew when on edge, don't slide smoothly over the rest any longer. I used to be able to use my skew to get a glass smooth finish on my spindle turnings....now, because it seems to hold up on the rest, I get choppy results. I can only assume this is because the cast iron used for the tool rest must be some cheap form that is rather soft. I was wondering if anyone else who has the Delta has noticed this same thing? I am thinking I might be in the market for a new tool rest very soon. I am looking at the Robust tool rests which seem to incorporate a solid steel rod along the top...I am thinking this may be more resistant to dents caused by future "learning experiences". Suggestions or thoughts on all of this would certainly be appreciated.

the tool rest is made from cast iron. it absorbs vibration. but also makes it dent. you should take your tool rest to a belt sander and sand it smooth once in awhile. also, you can grind the edges on your tools so that they have rounded edges instead sharp corners, this should help greatly.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

It wouldn't surprise me that you are probably right. Cost is the bottom line. With a 1hp. motor and a few good catches, you may have found one of those items. I've always questioned the whole banjo setup on a Delta 46-460. The shaft of the tool rest is small, the banjo seems to move under heavy cuts. Some have replace the clamping plate and some have even replaced the whole banjo. The tool rest that came with my 3520 is harder than that of any of my previous lathes. I still have to file it, but not as often. To address your problem, I would buy a Robust or one from Jeff Nicol.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

The hardened drill rod on the Robust tool rests is great. Very low friction, so your tools slide easily along the tool rest. You can't ding it too much, even if you try. Probably about as big of an up grade as going from pulleys to variable speed.

robo hippy

After filing the tool rest, take some fine emery cloth and polish the surface, then wax. It's possible that the surface finish left from the file is too rough. Another helpful thing is to round over the edges of your skew slightly.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

I have not found the banjo to be a problem...the rest is very solid and I have not noticed any movement. Like I said...I am very happy I went with this lathe. I love everything about it. It is just the tool rest. I have rounded over the edges of my skew...still feels like there is friction though on the tool rest. Maybe the Robust rest will help.

Rick, I also have the 460 and yes, the rest is a P.O.S!!!!!!! Get rid of it if you can and get a robust or something that has a hard steel edge. I havent had the extra cash to replace mine but that will change next week with money from Uncle Sam. I am going to order a Robust Tool Rest. I think the manufacturers should sell quality rests with the lathes and just add that to the price. Or hey, put some americans to work and have them made here in the states out of AMERICAN STEEL! But I'r starting to ramble,,,,,,,,,,bye!
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Easy fix...

I just JBWelded (any putty-type epoxy will do) a 1/8" x 1/2" piece of 1018 low-carbon steel onto the tool rest. (You should harden it as it is usually sold annealed.)

1018 is softer than HSS or other high-carbon steels like 1095 or O-1, but much harder than cast iron. Being softer, it won't ding up your chisels and they'll slide right along.

Tool Rest Shoe thm.jpg

I guess they need to cut costs somewhere to get this lathe into that mid-range price point. I would rather they cut costs on the tool rest than somewhere else like the motor....or by making thinner castings for the base. Most folks are probably going to change the rests eventually anyway...so be it.