Thread: branding iron help

Blog Entries

branding iron help

i want to get a branding iron to sign the stuff i make but i dont know which one is best?
    do i get the iron you heat up with a torch or the electric iron? i heard some place you can
    melt the raised letters off the iron with a torch?

please let me know which one you have and any pros & cons you have learned.

I have the electric model sold by Rockler. It works great. When we moved from New Hampshire to North Carolina I had Rockler make me a new head for the iron with the new address.

I have the one you heat up with a torch and it works ok, I have never got it hot enough to to melt the letters. The one thing I did do was to take the handle off of it and then I chuck it in the drill press, this way a get a very nice even brand on the wood. The only thing is you have to brand it as you go and not when you are done,

I have the electric model sold by Rockler. The only issue I have is that I sometimes forget to slightly rock it back and forth and left to right to ensure I have made good contact. I like it and I think either the electric or torch models work equally well.

I too have had the torch type for many years and no melting issues. I think you should get the electric version to go with the electric mallet in your avatar.

Blog Entries
    how long does it take for the electric one to heat up after plugging it in

and how long does it take to heat up the normal one with a torch?
    what is the best torch? im thinking the one that takes the little coleman bottle?

It depends on how much you make. Do you want to brand 20 a day, one a week or 3 a year? If it's less than 1 a week, just one you heat with a propane torch, it will last forever. If you do more than 3-10 a day, get electric and the most powerful element you can afford on top of that. The reheat time is shortened greatly with a larger element. You can expect about 1000-3000 marks with an electric die. Try this company it is very good, I have used them for years:

Brandnew_net

I have replaced my branding irons with laser engraving, but that's not for everyone. Try the engraving forum, there might be a local laser engraver you can work with if you only do a few peices a year. The mark is much cleaner and more detailed.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

I doubt that you could melt the letters off a 2" long(approx) branding iron. I would in any case,play the torch flame on the parts of the brand body which do not have any thin letters sticking out. Everything requires discretion.I have a little brand made out of 3/8" round brass that I made in the 60's that is as good as new. I just heat it about an inch from the brand end,and practice on a scrap piece first. You can get a brand too hot and burn the wood.

The electric would be easier to use,but of course can also burn out the element. The simpler the better might be a good rule.

I have a torch heated one from brandnew, it works great and wasn't that bad of a price. I heat it over a camp stove to get it hot. No melting issues.

Blog Entries
    I have had a torch heated iron for about 20 years and have not melted the letters off. A propane torch can achieve a high enough temperature to do it, but it would take a while and the glowing red color would be a strong indication that the iron is hot enough to burn wood.

I hold my branding iron by the iron shaft about 5" back from the brass head. When the shaft starts to get uncomfortably warm to hold, the iron is hot enough for branding. If you get it too hot it will char all the wood and the brand is unreadable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute