Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Toolworks Turning Tools and Handle

Serious Toolworks Turning Tools and Handle

Does anyone have experience using the turning tools or handle from Serious Tool Works?

www.serioustoolworks.com

They appear to be very well made, but fairly new to market, as I can't find any reviews or comments on them.

Joe

I picked up the handle along with a 1/2" spindle gouge at last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup. So far, I'm very impressed with both. I'll post a full review soon, but for now, I'll just say I highly recommend both the handle and the gouge.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

They don't say which type of steel they use. I know some years back it was A 11 or some thing like that, and not M2 HSS. I have one friend who has their cam lock handle and really likes it.

robo hippy

Joe, while I have not used their handle it looks very similar to the Exocet handle that I have. while cam lock handles are OK , they are very limited. IMO. A collet style handle, like the Kelton ER handles are so much more versatile. It is the lack of versatility with cam lock handles that prompted the idea for collet handles.

Their web page says that all of their cutting tools and scraping tools are made from A2 tool steel. My understanding is that A2 is not HSS. So it would be something else. Presumably something not as good at holding an edge etc... But I have no real clue about the exact properties of A2 tool steels.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Roberts View Post
    Joe, while I have not used their handle it looks very similar to the Exocet handle that I have. while cam lock handles are OK , they are very limited. IMO. A collet style handle, like the Kelton ER handles are so much more versatile. It is the lack of versatility with cam lock handles that prompted the idea for collet handles.
    Glenn,

I saw a collet style handle at Hannes Tools, and was looking at those as well, but they require a wrench. I thought it was neat that no tools were needed with the Serious handle but maybe it isn't that big of a deal ...

I am learning to sharpen bowl gouges and am quickly going through an expensive Crown bowl gouge, so I thought being able to purchase and use only steel would save me $ in the long run, plus some of the handles (like from Hannes) look more comfortable.

Joe

Joshua,
    Yea, it was A 2 steel, and it does not hold a good edge. I had a couple of their scrapers and gave them away.

robo hippy

A2 is subject to burning when grinding too, I'd stay away from it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks everyone for the great information! From reading the other threads, it looks like Thompson tools are the favorite of many of you. The only gouge I have is the Crown Pro-PM 3/8". I haven't been really impressed with the edge on the tool, but that could be my current state of sharpening skills.

Joe

Hi Joe,
    I can tell you that I have used the Serious Handle with the camlocks and it is a very nice handle. The length is about 18" and I need to weigh the handle because I am not sure of the exact weight but it has a nice weight to it not being too heavy or too light. The camlock is very nice and the handle is covered with a durable comfortable foam. I really like this handle. Vince
    Last edited by John Keeton; 04-22-2011 at 6:55 AM.
    VincesWoodNWonders

Hi Joe,

Take a look at Doug's handles... I have two and will be buying more. I thought a metal handle would be uncomfortable or slippery or not nice but I was dead wrong. These handles are awesome! I love that I can easily change out the tool with a simple Allen wrench (takes 30 seconds). I love the heft and the best part is that they don't roll. I never considered how awesome that simple aspect is but I can't express how nice it is to lay a tool on the ways of the lathe and it not move.

Whatever you end up with, post pics - we all love pictures.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Welch View Post
    Hi Joe,
    I can tell you that I have used the Serious Handle with the camlocks and it is a very nice handle. The length is about 18" and I need to weigh the handle because I am not sure of the exact weight but it has a nice weight to it not being too heavy or too light. The camlock is very nice and the handle is covered with a durable comfortable foam. I really like this handle. Vince
    Hi Vince,

Can the handle be used with Doug Thompson's steel tools?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    Hi Joe,

Take a look at Doug's handles... I have two and will be buying more. I thought a metal handle would be uncomfortable or slippery or not nice but I was dead wrong. These handles are awesome! I love that I can easily change out the tool with a simple Allen wrench (takes 30 seconds). I love the heft and the best part is that they don't roll. I never considered how awesome that simple aspect is but I can't express how nice it is to lay a tool on the ways of the lathe and it not move.

Whatever you end up with, post pics - we all love pictures.

Jon

I will John. I plan to try to hook up with Doug. I just found out that he is based about 25 minutes from me, and I think he is in the same turning club (NCT) I joined last month.

One way or another, I will have a platter to show one of these days

Joe

The handle can use Doug Thompson's tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Roberts View Post
    Glenn,

Their cam lock handle is designed to be used with collets. For my 1/2" spindle gouge, I needed to purchase a 1/2" collet. (IIRC, you don't need a collet for a 3/4" diameter tool, just for anything smaller.) The difference between the Kelton collet handle and the Serious collet handle is the way the collets are tightened. The Serious cam lock has the advantages of being quicker (a 1/4 turn locks the tool or unlocks the tool from the handle) and being smaller in diameter (the Kelton tools have a larger "knuckle" at the tool end of the the handle). The Kelton tools might have the advantage of a greater range of movement. That is, if the tool's tang is slightly under sized or over sized, the Kelton handle might accommodate a greater range of under/over size. I don't know that for sure. I have a Thompson and a Serious 1/2" spindle gouge that were purchased the same day. There's about 2/100's of an inch difference between the diameters of the two tools. The Serious cam lock with it's 1/2" collet holds both gouges securely. The only difference is the one tool requires just under a 1/4 turn to lock the tool into the handle and the other requires just over a 1/4 turn. Had the difference in size been much greater, another collet might have been needed to handle the more under sized tool.

Note: Many collets only grip something that's within 1/32" of the collet's nominal size. 1/32" is just over 3/100's of an inch, so the Kelton may or may not have a greater range of movement than the Serious cam lock.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona