Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Toolworks Turning Tools and Handle

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent 63 View Post

I saw a collet style handle at Hannes Tools, and was looking at those as well, but they require a wrench. I thought it was neat that no tools were needed with the Serious handle but maybe it isn't that big of a deal ...
    One of the neat things about the Serious handle is that you can easily change how far your tool extends out of the handle (assuming the tool doesn't have a tang, but is a constant diameter along its length). A quick 1/4 turn and you can extend the tool farther out or shorten it up. That may not sound like a feature you'd want or need, but I've found myself using it a lot. For some delicate cuts, I've found myself griping the blade of the tool with the wooden handle/ferrule in the heel of the palm of my hand. I wasn't holding the tool that way because I found gripping the blade more comfortable. I was doing it because I wanted my hand to be closer to the cutting edge. With the Serious tool handle, I can simply stuff more of the tool inside the handle and get my hand closer to the action while still gripping the handle. What a concept!

Of course, you can do the same thing with most metal handles. Just use a hex key to back out the set screws (or a wrench to loosen the collet) and you can slide the handle in or out to best meet your needs. The difference is that the Serious cam lock makes the operation so quick it becomes second nature.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Thanks, David, great points!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I picked up the handle along with a 1/2" spindle gouge at last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup. So far, I'm very impressed with both. I'll post a full review soon, but for now, I'll just say I highly recommend both the handle and the gouge.
    David,

Did you ever post your review? I am getting ready to pull the plug on a purchase, and the handle can make a difference in which iron I purchase for the various tools / sizes going forward.

Joe

David,

Last question - any regrets in using the Serious handle in the time that has elapsed since your purchase? How has the serious spindle gouge steel held up? Have you tried any of the ultragouges?

Thanks in advance, I know a lot of questions, but I am looking at the 5/8" ultragouge, and it is over $200 for the handle and steel, and for that one, they don't tell what kind of steel it is. Although this is directed at David from this 4 month old thread, anyone with more recent experience that would wish to comment - those comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Joe

If you're looking in that range for tools take a look at Glaser HiTec tools.

I just talked to Serious last Mon. and ordered the 2 collets I dont have. With their handle I can change cutters before most people can find their allen wrench. They speak very highly of Thompson tools having the right dinension to fit their handle. They are coming out with a three eights and five eights cutting tools that are just under carbon steel hardness, The flute goes the full 12 in.length, so you can have a cutter at both ends. Nothing but the best as far as I am concerned.Max