Thread: Want to start trying to dye blanks

Want to start trying to dye blanks

I was wanting to try to start dying some blanks. I am thinking about starting w/ some pen blanks and moving up from there. Any tips on this would be appreciated. I am wanting to dye prior to turning so I am trying to think of way for maximum penetration. At this time after watching some vids on stabilizing I am thinking that same method could be applied to dying to draw the dye in using a vacuum. Also, what dye? WC has Mixtol (liquid) for 5.50 in a wide range of colors. Does anyone have experience using that? They sell it as being able to add it to any finish so I figure I could use some DNA and vacuum it in and see how it goes. Or, they have transtint or transfast powder. Would one of those be better to use in the same scanario?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Blog Entries
    Subscribed...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've found that the higher sanded grit, the less dye is absorbed so I usually stop at 400 with a RoS. RIT dyes are common in stores, but they will fade with time and exposure to direct light for prolonged times. Anilyne (spell check failed me again!!) are available at places like CSUSA, Woodcraft and the like. I like to do pens in curly maple and dye it. Since pens are so small, the curl is usually lost. Dying really pops the grain and gives it great color. Hit it with a little black and sand it back so the black still highlights the grain. Then go for your favorite color. Remember the grain will raise so knock it down a little after each application. I've never tried the vacuum approach, it may be overkill, but may also be worth an effort!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks Jim. The reason I want to use the vacuum is to be able to dye it then stabilize it when complete. I have some Burls and Punky wood that will need to be stabilized after the dye job. I also want to do Multi-colors....or try it and see what happens.... I think I just need to get my stuff and start testing. I was just hoping someone had tried this.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

There was a thread recently about multi color dying...have a lash at a search and see what you come up with. The photos were really cool!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots