Thread: Veritas Mk.II Sharpening System First...

Veritas Mk.II Sharpening System First...

...impressions.

Well, I received my Mk.II Power Sharpening System today from Lee Valley. I have it set up although I haven't installed the abrasive sheets yet. This thing is heavier than I was expecting. Very well made and it seems pretty straightforward and simple to operate. The instructions are clear and easy to understand.

After installing the abrasives and giving it a try, I'll post my observations if anyone is interested.

I took John's advice and ordered some additional grades of abrasive sheets, extra platters and an extra tool holder.

Question for you, John. I ordered the sample packs as you suggested. Which grades would you put on which platters?

It can't make you any sharper at Sketch Up!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards

Question for you, John. I ordered the sample packs as you suggested. Which grades would you put on which platters?
    Congrats Dave, but aren't pictures in order?! Anyhow, good question, though I can't give you a solid answer. I have yet to replace any of the papers, yet! I hit them with some Simple Green in between sharpening sessions, and the papers are still doing a good job. But, logic prevails on this one, as well. I'd keep the two main grits that the MKII ships with on the 4mm platter. The coarsest grit will last you a long time and hopefully, once your tools are up to snuff, one which you won't much use. I have yet to need it, but when I do replace my paper on the 3mm platter, it's going to be the LV supplied 1200 on one side, with the "new" 5 micron on the other. If you've also purchased the extra platter, put the .5 micron on that one. The last one will give you that polishing treatment. Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I ordered extra paper for mine when i bought it. Ordered the same grits that came standard with it. Plus an extra tool holder. Love the machine. I do not like the short cord with installed switch. I'll change that one of these days.

Thanks guys. Mark, I appreciate that.

John, do you have four grits between your two 3mm platters? I guess I'll have 40μ and 6μ on one platter. Is there any big difference between 6μ and 5μ?

Thanks guys. Mark, I appreciate that.

John, do you have four grits between your two 3mm platters? I guess I'll have 40μ and 6μ on one platter. Is there any big difference between 6μ and 5μ?
    Dave, I have the two "stock" (40 & 6) grits on the one 3mm platter and just the 5 on the second 3mm platter. I'm going to be trying the .5 next and examine it with the loupe to see how much of a difference there is. I'm purposely not putting paper on both sides of the 2nd 3mm platter, in an effort to squeek out just a tiny bit more micro-bevel out of it. Don't know if it actually makes a difference, but in my mind..... Also, a little trick that Gene Collison told me about on the MKII: When you go to the 3mm platters, loosen the knob on your tool rest and lift up on it just a smidge. You will note that, there's still enough "play" on the indicated setting to raise and lock it without going out of that notch. In effect, this gives you a bit steeper approach to that micro-bevel. I tried it and it does work quite well!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Alright, last night I installed the abrasives that came with the unit and I gave it a whirl. I took an inexpensive stanley chisel to it and got what appears to be a pretty sharp edge. I had a little trouble lapping the back--I think I had already lapped a nicer finish on the back with the 1200 grit on a granite tile. I expect that will take some practice. I'll probably go buy another dollar three ninety eight chisel at Menard's to practice with. Garage sales are a bust around here as far as old tools go.

Grinding the bevel went very quickly. The set up guide works well. Between it and the tool rest setting, I got a dead on 25°.

I was a little surprised at how rough the primary bevel ends up. It makes me wonder if I should take my spare 4mm platter and put something finer than the 100μ on one side and another 80X on the other to maintain the height and angle.

The secondary bevel is almost mirror smooth after the 6μ step. I've got some 0.5μ that I'll put on the spare 3mm platter as you suggested, John.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, no pictures yet. Kari had the camera to take some pictures of Ian.

Alright, last night I installed the abrasives that came with the unit and I gave it a whirl. I took an inexpensive stanley chisel to it and got what appears to be a pretty sharp edge. I had a little trouble lapping the back--I think I had already lapped a nicer finish on the back with the 1200 grit on a granite tile. I expect that will take some practice. I'll probably go buy another dollar three ninety eight chisel at Menard's to practice with. Garage sales are a bust around here as far as old tools go.

Grinding the bevel went very quickly. The set up guide works well. Between it and the tool rest setting, I got a dead on 25°.

I was a little surprised at how rough the primary bevel ends up. It makes me wonder if I should take my spare 4mm platter and put something finer than the 100μ on one side and another 80X on the other to maintain the height and angle.

The secondary bevel is almost mirror smooth after the 6μ step. I've got some 0.5μ that I'll put on the spare 3mm platter as you suggested, John.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, no pictures yet. Kari had the camera to take some pictures of Ian.
    Dave, it certainly sounds like you are well on your way! Yeah, definitely do a bit of experimenting with it (as using the spare 4mm for a finer grit) and let us know how it turns out. Otherwise, the "thanks" for the tips really go out to Gene Collison! He's the brains behind the MKII part of the operation! I'm just relaying what he's taught me. Have fun with it and get that camera away from Kari!!! Priorities you know! (Besides, I hear the picture police are back on the prowl!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Even though I have a box of old chisels and irons ready to drag down to your place, doesn't excuse a pro photographer/WW from posting Gloat pix .
    What has happened around here ? I take a little R&R and caos abounds .
    Show me!!!
    Congrats Dave.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Darn, I knew Tyler would drag that box of old garage sale screwdrivers down here if he ever found out I bought this thing.

I've been sufficiently chastised so I'll take some pictures this evening.

I had a little trouble lapping the back...
    Not surprising.

The short power cord and the ill-placed power switch are my only complaints. I added a footswitch. To flatten the back of the chisel. I turn the machine off, with both hands hold the back of the chisel flat on the plate, then turn the machine on.

Amazon, Woodcraft, Lee Valley carry a nice pneumatic footswitch, about $30. Or you can wait for Rockler puts a cheaper footswitch (P/N 23706) on sale for $9.99 (regular $17.50). BTW, the switch that comes with the Lap-Sharp looks just like the one from Rockler.

Hoa, a foot switch sounds like a good idea. I'll keep that in mind.

John, here's a picture of the sharpener. There's a little stealth gloat embedded. Can you find it?

And while I'm posting pictures here are a couple shots of my messy shop.

First a view of the TS and "router section". Behind the Legacy you can see the back of the big shop cabinet I built from scraps of 2x lumber.

The second picture is the front of the shop cabinet. The doors aren't complete nor are the shelves in the right hand section of the upper cabinet. Actually, I haven't decided what I'm going to do with that section yet.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You'll really like that shave, enjoy.
    The MOASC is coming right along too.
    Thanks, I needed the pix fix!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Daaaaag-nabit, man! Now I'm going to have to send Rob Lee a nasty email! Heck, I didn't get one 'o them fancy sharpening jigs with my MKII! Hrmph...Nice wooden handles and all! You must be livin' right! That's it! No more orders from me to LV!!! Nope. Not for, at least, the next few hours or so! (Nice score, BTW! Enjoy.)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas