Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wallace Mortiser Restore

My Wallace Mortiser Restore

I thought I would post a few photos of a JD Wallace mortise machine I purchased from Craigs List for a hundred bucks a couple of months ago:

This is a photo supplied by the previous owner in his garage. The machine was left outdoors at a lumber yard in northern Oklahoma for some time. The owner told me he had owned it for the last 20 years and had never started the motor.

This is a photo of the machine in my truck when I got her home.

This is a photo of the disassembly.....boy was it rough

This is a photo after I worked long and hard to disassemble and put back into service. I had to do some motor work but most everything else was ok, just rusted tight. I spent several days with several cans of penetrating oil to free the machine.

Another photo of the finished machine

Thanks for looking

David G....who is now working on an Oliver Lathe that looked nearly as rough

Looks great! have you tried it out yet?

That looks incredible. Great job on the restore.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Awesome job of restoration! That's the first Wallace that I have seen, it looks like a very nice design!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful restore. I hope you spend many more hours using it than the restoration.

Oh my that's sweet. Give me a call before you put it back on Craigslist!

Absolutely STUNNING job !!!!

Nice glimpse of the H-D, too !

That is very cool, well done! I look forward to tackling a restore someday after seeing pictures like these (yes, I know it's a LOT of work).

Blog Entries
    A thing of beauty. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

10. Man, for 300 bucks you could have gotten one of these and saved yourself some aggravation.

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Buscemi View Post
    Man, for 300 bucks you could have gotten one of these and saved yourself some aggravation.

Anon
    Dog gone it Sal......if I would have only known and just to think, I have all of the agravation to contend with once again when I start on my Craigs List 160 dollar Oliver 159A lathe. Just last week I went with a friend of mine to Harbor Freight and they had their lathes on sale for about the same price. Well, out of money so I guess I will just suck it up and put up with the old stuff and finish the Ollie.

David G.....green bear shooter

12. Quote Originally Posted by David Gandy View Post
    Dog gone it Sal......if I would have only known and just to think, I have all of the agravation to contend with once again when I start on my Craigs List 160 dollar Oliver 159A lathe. Just last week I went with a friend of mine to Harbor Freight and they had their lathes on sale for about the same price. Well, out of money so I guess I will just suck it up and put up with the old stuff and finish the Ollie.

David G.....green bear shooter
    Ha! Hopefully you know I'm kidding. I was reading your post over on OWWM, and I figured I'd have some fun. I think you'll like the Oliver. I love mine! (thread hijack over)
    Sal

I loved your post, everyone over at the owwm is taking it far too serious, I really thought that they would come up with some good funny responses, instead, they are takin up for the ones that eshew the old American stuff. Me, nothing but American and I can't afford new ones.

You do great work, David. Don't suppose ya want to post a video link of her in action, do ya?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    You do great work, David. Don't suppose ya want to post a video link of her in action, do ya?
    I would love to see that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney