Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impact Drivers on Sale: Which One?

Impact Drivers on Sale: Which One?

FYI, just saw this in my e-mail: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pe_10877...ode=2399141011

I've been wanting to buy a 10 - 12V impact driver for some time, but couldn't decide which one. I'm thinking of the Makita (approx. $110 today) or the Bosch (approx. $85). Anybody have any feedback, recommendations, warnings, other preferences? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The $85 Bosch is actually the PS-20, which is a drill, not an impact driver. I have that one and the PS-40, the impact driver. I like it alot, and use it all the time. It is lightweight, and small enough to get just about anywhere. I recommend it.

I've had the 18V LXT Makita for about 7 years now and I have no complaints.

My personal experience: Had 2 x Milwaukee 7-yr-olds, they started to reach the end of their life, checked around, including input here. I have no comparative info on other brands. I wanted one brand for everything, one set of batteries, and charger[s] that handled all of them.

To be honest, from the sidelines, the big hoo-hah about impact drivers seemed to me to be overblown. I was wrong-wrong-wrong.

I ended up with 18v Makita. I have the "black + white" drill/driver, the "green" impact driver, the "green" hammer drill/driver, the "black + white" flashlight. 2 chargers, 5 total batteries.

I am absolutely happy. Two observations from my personal evaluation [meaning, this was not written on the back of Moses' tablets, and others will likely disagree]

1] the small-end batteries that come with the "black + white" packages - I would never buy these again. They simply don't last very long. But - they are lightweight, which I like - slap one in that black + white drill, and you've got a nice, functional, lightweight tool. OTOH - and this is odd - the "small" and the "big" batteries both fit in the same charger, and both fit in the "black + white" tools. But, "small" batteries will not fit in the "green" tools. I assume they need more muscle to run well than the small batteries can supply.

2] The green impact driver - it has 3 "muscle level" settings. That's good - I love the tool. But, my neighbor's wife asked for Christmas present recommmendations for her hubby, and I conned her into getting a full set of black + white tools, chargers, and batteries [now, my stuff stays in my shop ]. The black + white impact driver has no muscle settings, but it's operation is right in the middle of the green's low and medium settings, and seems to be the "sweet spot" for driving a lot of commonly-used wood screws. Kinda like Goldilocks - my green low is a bit too small, my green medium is a bit too big, but the black + white is just right.

If I went to the stupid end of the scale some day, I'd get the black + white impact as a second tool - I like my green as the primary - and I'd get 2 more big batteries.

So - dunno what type of work you do, but for most of the common woodshop tasks, my ideal "get one thing only" package would be the black + white impact and 2 of the big batteries.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've had 4-5 impact drivers, from the older Bosch 9.6 nicad unit, the Makita 14.4 NiMH, the Panasonic 12volt, the Hitachi 10.8/12, the Makita 3.6volt, the Bosch 10.8/12volt, and the Makita LXT 18volt.

The Makita's own this category - the Mak 14.4 unit was a workhorse, the LXT is as dependable.

For the smaller units - the Hitachi 10.8/12 unit is pretty amazing - It'd do a 3 1/2" cabinet hanging screw like the big boys.

I have a complete Bosch 10.8/12 kit and sold off the impactor from it. Compared to the Hitachi, it was a joke. Compared to the Makita LXT stuff, it was useless.

All it did was be noisy, I didn't find it much more usefull than their standard driver unit.

I'd go for the Makita. You might as well get the full size LXT - get the white version that comes with the smaller 1.5 batts - it's not a whole lot larger than the 10.8/12volt units.

I could not reccomend the Bosch 10.8/12volt impactor at all.

JT

Kent's advice is very good but he missed the middle Makita LXT impact.

They have the Black/White one, which is the "normal impact" with the small battery. This can be a great alternative for the 12v max ultra compact tools since it isn't much larger or heavier and gives you more options.

Then they have the same unit with the normal battery, BTD141. This is the most common LXT impact. This is the one Kent missed.

The new BTD144 is the one Kent is raving about and I fully agree. This unit is much more expensive but it is the new Brushless unit with the 3 power levels. I love mine and have a couple extra BTD141 to sell now that I have it.

I also fully agree with Kent's last point: "what kind of work are you going to do?"

The 12v max tools are great but they are a bit light for general use. If you are mainly doing light work, they will serve you well. Bosch and Milwaukee have a much broader line than Makita in the 12v Max stuff. Bosch has a couple unique tools such as the I-Driver and Multi-Tool that are unique. Milwaukee has some weird stuff nobody else has such as pipe cutters. It really depends on what you want.

In the 18v line, Makita LXT is king. The White/Black light duty stuff with the small battery is a great idea as that makes it light weight for the general use drill and impact if you wish. You can use the bigger battery on those tools if you need longer run time. Makita LXT only has one bad tool in the whole line, the Hybrid 4-way driver.

So again, what kind of work are you going to do?

Looks like Julian was typing as I was. His post reminded me that the original Bosch impactor was weak. The Bosch rep swapped it out for the PS40-2 and I was happy. Still pretty weak compared to the LXT stuff, of course. It depends on what you are using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Kent's advice is very good.........
    Awwwwww, shucks, Greg...........you make me feel so much better after the beat-down I took on the pancake compressor thread. I'm a new man - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Then they have the same unit with the normal battery, BTD141. This is the most common LXT impact. This is the one Kent missed.
    Yeah - that one I don't know anything about. When I was retooling that part of the wall, I thought about that one long and hard, but decided that I'd roll the dice and pop for the extra bucks to go big-time - I figured that I'd go with the best available technology - the brushless - that was the entire basis for my ultimate buy decision. I feel I spent my money well - and it was more than just weekend beer money, by a long shot - but someone like Greg that buys impact drivers by the gross knows more than me.

I use mine for everything from fine woodworking to 3/8" x 6" galvanized lag screws into PT deck posts. On the fine ww - I leave it on the "weenie" setting, let it pop out of drive, then finish with a hand-held screwdriver. Prolly too cautious, but that's what I do. That's why I mentioned the B+W model as a possiblity.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have the Makita 10.8 v impact/drill driver combo set (2 tools) and LOVE it. That little impact is an amazing critter. I use it for everything from 1/2" hardware screws to 3.5" deck screws and it handles them all. Note that I would not recommend this set if you are building a deck and need to drive big screws all day, but it works great in the shop and around the house. My poor porter cable 19.2v set (that was the bees knees when I got it) gathers dust now.

Ryan

What are you guys using these Impact drivers for? Woodworking or something else?

I couldn't live without my pneumatic Ignersol Rand 3/8" and 1/2" drivers but I have never used them for wood working????? I wouldn't want to have to worry about batteries or breaking power when I am in the middle of swapping out an axle. Are the battery powered ones for people who don't have a decent sized compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    What are you guys using these Impact drivers for? Woodworking or something else? I couldn't live without my pneumatic Ignersol Rand 3/8" and 1/2" drivers but I have never used them for wood working????? I wouldn't want to have to worry about batteries or breaking power when I am in the middle of swapping out an axle. Are the battery powered ones for people who don't have a decent sized compressor?
    Different animal, Mike. It's not an impact wrench like you are imagining regarding your 3/8" and 1/2" guns. Think more along the lines of a cordless drill with a little impact ooom-pa-pa to help drive bigger screws. Quite a handy tool, but to be honest I think of mine as more of a construction and handyman tool, and less of a fine woodworking tool.

John - A friend of mine has a Makita that's pretty nice. I've used it and like it, but I'm just as happy with the performance of my Hitachi WH10DL (the Makita looks a little nicer IMHO!). I recently picked up a Hitachi WH10DL from reconditionedsales.com for $64....love the driver and the deal...it looked like new. It included two batteries, quick charger, hard case, and driver.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Different animal, Mike. It's not an impact wrench like you are imagining regarding your 3/8" and 1/2" guns. Think more along the lines of a cordless drill with a little impact ooom-pa-pa to help drive bigger screws. Quite a handy tool, but to be honest I think of mine as more of a construction and handyman tool, and less of a fine woodworking tool.
    Yeah - completely different critters. Also - it seems to reduce the likelihod of a bit driver from spinning out of a screw head. I use mine pretty much everywhere that I used to use a battery-powered drill to drive screws.

Hmmm.... I might have to look into one. I use my Dewalt 18v drill and Milwaukee hole shooter for driving screws depending on there location. So a battery powered impact gun is kind of an ultimate screw gun? So would you choose an impact driver over a screw gun or cordless drill for lets say laying a Trex deck?

Another vote for Makita.......I have used makita impact drivers for over 16 years now. When I worked as a professional sheet metal worker we (by we I mean everyone) had them and drove in screws all day long. I am retired but I understand the sheetmetal workers still use them today but the 18 volt models now. I have broken off 3/8" thick bolts with this tool! I use it in woodworking now. (I have an old 9.2volt model)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214