I loaned my monster system to another turner for a few days, and when he brought it back to my shop, he wanted me to do a little hollowing while he watched. I told him to pick out a chunk of wood from the stash, and I'd give it a spin. He picks up a piece of ambrosia maple that Stephen Walker was kind enough to send me a while back(Thanks!), and this is the result.

It's a little under 6 inches tall, and the collar is African blackwood with a little spiral texturing from a homemade chatter tool. It's sanded dry to 400 then wet sanded with BLO at 600... A coat of shellac then several coats of WOP to finish things up. I inserted the rough collar into the finished form while still on the lathe then turned it to completion... This thing is like a drum, so I had to have the guy hold his finger against the top of the form to keep the noise down!

After seeing JK's 'ashes' post, I think this form might have some urn application.

Comments and criticism appreciated.
ambrosia-maple-HF-1.jpgambrosia-maple-HF-2.jpgambrosia-maple-HF-3.jpgambrosia-maple-Hf-4.jpg