Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milling Machine

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    OK, here’s a little wood machining that I just started applying finish to yesterday. Don’t laugh, I know it’s a little weird - I wasn’t planning on posting any pics.

It does demonstrate what can be done pretty easily on a milling machine but would be much more difficult to do with conventional WW tools. Aside from the 8” radius that I milled using my rotary table, everything else is straight X-Y moves on the mill using straight end mills and corner rounding end mills.
    Eventually this thing will hang on the wall, connect to my shop stereo and power my iTouch.
    OK, you can laugh now..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    OK, here’s a little wood machining that I just started applying finish to yesterday. Don’t laugh, I know it’s a little weird - I wasn’t planning on posting any pics.

It does demonstrate what can be done pretty easily on a milling machine but would be much more difficult to do with conventional WW tools. Aside from the 8” radius that I milled using my rotary table, everything else is straight X-Y moves on the mill using straight end mills and corner rounding end mills.
    Eventually this thing will hang on the wall, connect to my shop stereo and power my iTouch.
    OK, you can laugh now..
    seeing is believing!

thanks for the note, Bruce.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post

OK, you can laugh now..
    Wow!, you've given me hope, maybe I can do something with the milling machine other than punch little holes in scrap metal. Seriously, that gives me some great ideas for doing some jewelry boxes etc.
    John

Two machines made for woodworking mimic a Vertical Mill: The WoodRat and the Router Boss. They are specifically designed to create joints. They use a plunge router for cutting, and have X,Y,Z axis mobility. They have some improvements in the way of dust collection, and considerably better safety and precision.

My dad was a machinist his whole career and I think that is what prompted me to get the WoodRat. I still have a router table for edge work on large boards. To be honest, cranking handles to position the cutter, and watching digital scales takes some of the fun out of woodworking. For that reason I often cut to pencil line and forget the DRO indicators.