Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Recomendation

Chuck Recomendation

After all the advice I recieved a couple weeks ago regarding the type of chuck (bars vs. key operated), I pulled the trigger on a Barracuda clone that seemed worth the money. Today I received an email that the unit was back ordered with 'no anticipated due date', basically telling me I wasn't going to get my chuck. I cancelled the order, and my bank account shows a full credit of $50(what I paid). So, with heavy heart, I asked the CFO 'What now?' She said I could add a little to the fund, but to try to keep the total at $100(well maybe just a bit extra to cover shipping)With this in mind, I need specific recommendations. The clone I had ordered was a knock off of the Barracuda 3 shown in the recent PSI catalog. My lathe is a Delta LA200 with the 1"8tpi spindle. Any of you folks know where I can get what I'm looking for, or better yet, have one collecting dust? If you moderator folks feel this should be moved to 'classifieds' sobeit...I just thought it would be appropriate here, as the request to buy was secondary to the request for recommendations.
    Thanks all and please have a good Easter(don't shoot the bunnies in the 'mater patch, they just might be layin'
    Mick

I dont have this chuck so I cant speak to its quality, but I do have a lot of tools from Penn State and love them....this seems like an excellent buy, maybe someone that has this will chime in, but I dont think you could go wrong with this....it comes with the #1 & #2 jaws plus free mini-jumbo jaws! It looks like it uses the bars and NOT the key...but is in your price range. Hope this helps.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    I was luckky enough to find a new one way at a yard sale along with a bunch of other tools. Keep your eye on C-list and the other sites. Sometimes a real gem pops up. Good luck.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Mickey, sometimes the Nova G3 goes on sale for $99, and some of them are direct thread to 1 x 8 tpi. The SN2 is on sale right now for $140, but you will need an insert - $24.

The Vicmarc clone from grizzly is a decent chuck for about $100, but only comes with one set of jaws. They do sell 2 other jaws that fit or the VM100 jaws will fit. I do have the PSI one mentioned above and still use it, but the tommy bars are a bit of a hassle. Helps to move the tool rest over and rest one of the bars against that and you can do it one handed.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Ja...-x-8-TPI/H6265
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

I like the grizzly chuck. I've got one now, and I've got two more on backorder. I think I should get them around the end of May or first of June. I've decided to use the Vicmarc chucks, and the grizzly is a substitute for the VM100. I thinks it's $109.

nova chuck

i have a nova chuck for yrs now and find it to be very good. I don't remember which one but you can reverse the jaw's for a smaller or lager piece of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    I dont have this chuck so I cant speak to its quality, but I do have a lot of tools from Penn State and love them....this seems like an excellent buy, maybe someone that has this will chime in, but I dont think you could go wrong with this....it comes with the #1 & #2 jaws plus free mini-jumbo jaws! It looks like it uses the bars and NOT the key...but is in your price range. Hope this helps.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html
    Hmmmmm. Tim this does look like a pretty good deal considering you get 2 sets of jaws AND Jumbo jaws. Down side they say levers, .........tommy bars. If you get this chuck and the jumbo jaws I would get a set of grippers for it that are beveled. I would feel uncomfortable using straight grippers. Get a catch and the turning is rocketing through the air.
    I turn, therefore I am

save your $$ and buy good quality..the grizzly I hear is ok & takes vicmarc jaws..the PSI chucks I hear are good too..the G3 is ok. I have one & it;'s not my favorite, but it works fine. Do not go cheap here. This holds wood spinning at 2000rpm..if it lets go, you have a major emergency room bill. Be smart.

Hi Mickey,

I recommend the Nova chucks, I have a Midi and a G3. They are concentric! After using standard jaws for a couple of years, I bought a set of long jaws. I really like the long jaws, they really bite, which means they really hold. They take some of the scare out of a catch. Sometimes you can get a Nova Midi for $90 or less. I also have WoodRiver chucks, they are worth the money.

Bob Haverstock

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    save your $$ and buy good quality..the grizzly I hear is ok & takes vicmarc jaws..the PSI chucks I hear are good too..the G3 is ok. I have one & it;'s not my favorite, but it works fine. Do not go cheap here. This holds wood spinning at 2000rpm..if it lets go, you have a major emergency room bill. Be smart.
    I have to agree with Michelle, you will never regret saving up and buying a quality tool, no matter what kind it may be...
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have Novas, I got a G3 on e-bay for 120 shipped with insert, although I have not seen it recently. No experience with the PSI chucks, but that was one of my considerations. The big plus with the Nova line is al of the jaws fit the other chuck bodies. Yes, I know 120 is a tad out of your price range, but I have to agree with everyone else, that the chuck is NOT a place to save money on.
    Oh, have you tried Amazon? They often have PSI stuff in stock.

I have a Vicmarc, Oneway, & Grizzly's Vimarc clone.
    I use all 3 . That said, I have put dovetail jaws on my Oneway ( i don't care for the serrated jaws) now I use it most of the time followed by the Vicmarc. The Grizzy only see's minimal use and only on my mini lathe.

I also vote for the Nova chuck. I have three SuperNova2's and keep different jaws on each. I started with one on a midi lathe five years ago and now have a Jet 1642, and just by replacing the insert, I still was able to keep the chucks. WoodCraft has them on sale this month.... sure would try to convince your finace minister the importance of quality and ability to keep up as you upgrade your lathe......evey one wants a bigger lathe.

Richard...

When this question comes up, this is my opinion (advice if you like it)...

When this question comes up, this is my opinion (advice if you like it).....Buy the brand you want to continue buying. One chuck isn't enough. These things are investments.

Very few brands are interchangeable so remember that. I started out with the pry bar Nova Midi. Worked well, still have it, still use it when my other 3 Novas are busy....except the Nova Midi will not work on a PM3520 or anything with a 1.25" spindle...unless you use an adapter which is not recommended. So I use it on my other 2 lathes with 1" spindles.

I bought Nova because I couldn't afford Oneway and Vicmarc was mail order. I have no problems with Novas and will likely by another one this week at Woodcraft because 3 isn't enough for me. Maybe I'll run into Richard Rivera there since we both are members of the Golden Triangle Club in Denton.

If I had a do over or won the lottery, I would take a serious look at Oneway and Vicmarc. Grizzy's quality and offerings were not good 5yrs ago but they have improved from what I know. WoodRiver and Barracuda were not around as far as I know.