Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck Recomendation

While I agree with the advice that price shouldn't dictate, safety first, etc, I am stuck with that constraint. Currently 'employment challenged', the $50 variety was a stretch on the already tight budget. Charlotte squeezing out the extra $50(not sure how she did) helps, but after shipping on top, we're likely looking at $120 or better. Unless I can sell something, that's gonna sting. We're living off of savings at the moment, the pittance I receive as unemployment insurance barely covers her medical costs. I currently use two machinist style three jaw scroll chucks, and while good at launching pieces across the yard, they leave a lot to be desired for wood turning. Michelle, I agree at 2000rpm a launch is, well, awesome! John, I must have been asleep at the wheel when the SuperNovas went up(he said, while kicking himself). I have seen one on Amazon for $69, can't recall the brand. That's probably gonna be the one.
    Thanks, everyone, for all the advice.
    Mick

If possible spend the extra $20 for the PSI one instead of the amazon one. The PSI one has free jumbo jaws and 2 other jaw sets included and will give you the most versatility for your money.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Mickey, I recently purchased several Nova chucks by searching CL - just keep your eyes open for some deals - they are out there.

There is a 3" Faceplate/Screw Chuck 1X8 Thread on ebay for 16.50.

Mickey,
    Woodcraft will probably have the Nova Precision Midi on sale in the near future. It usually runs $79 on sale.

I sympathize with your situation.
    Bill
    Last edited by John Keeton; 04-25-2011 at 8:43 AM.

Grizzly has one for $48.95 Mickey. I have two of them and still use them on my midi Jet 1220. I have had them for 6 yrs and have not had any problems. For the money don't think you could go wrong.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chucks

The Woodcraft store in Loveland, CO is closing out some Nova Midi chucks that includes 2 jaw sets for $134. The deal includes 4 extra jaw sets, you end up with a total of 6 different sizes of jaws. The only down side is that it has the 2 bar system to tighten the chuck.

I'm happy with the set I purchased.

Hey mickey..NO CHUCK METHOD

back in the old days when I started turning, chucks were not plentiful..folks used glue blocks and turned bowls. (I assume you want a chuck to turn bowls) Take a junk 2x4 or whatever..cut into squares..put between centers, and round. Glue to the bottom of your bowl and use a faceplate & screw to the block. Turn your bowl, as much as you can inside and then your outside. Make a jam chuck for rim of your bowl and put on lathe, pulling up tailstock..finish bottom. Take off lathe and sand off the little nipple. TA DA NO CHUCK no $$$$ way to turn bowls. Save up for a new good chuck.

Hey all! Thanks for the many good recommendations, and PM offers! I'm afraid the purchase is back on hold for a while again though...Charlottes doctor has prescribed yet another miracle medicine to help her out, and my tool fund just evaporated.
    Michelle, I've been playing with the faceplate/glueblock method, with some decent results. Nothing to write home(or here)about, but I am getting a feel for the tools and 'real' wood. Hopefully my homebased tool and appliance repair service will bring in a little disposable income, and I'll be back in the market soon.
    Until then I guess I'll just keep watching the beautiful things you all make.
    Mick

Tell Charlotte I'm praying for her & you too Mickey..good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Tell Charlotte I'm praying for her & you too Mickey..good luck
    Thank you Michelle...She's in ICU right now...the new 'snake oil' apparently had a bad reaction with her other meds. We've been assured that there is no serious threat, but they need to purge her system of the 'miracle cure'. Guess that's why they call it 'practicing' medicine, rather than actually 'performing' it.
    Mick