Thread: New shop storage project finished

New shop storage project finished

Bill Huber gave me the idea in this post. I needed to free up some floor space that was currently occupied by a similar shelf, so I built this cabinet. 36" high by 42" wide and 18" deep. I made each slide-out with holes for adjustable shelving, so I can adapt it to what I need in the future. This was my first project where I did a complete design first in SketchUp with detail down to the component level. It was also my first project where I actually got all the grain to match up on the face. All in all, it was a good weekend project. I have it set right up against the ceiling, giving me space underneath it for one of my sanders.

Full View - Profile - small.jpgFull View - small.jpgFirst Pull-Out - small.jpg2nd Pull Out - small.jpgOther Pull Outs - small.jpg

Great Job Lee!
    I have been wanting to build these since I saw them on a "woodworking at home" dvd. (I miss that publication)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    I like that Lee. I expect I'll do something like it at my place.

PHM

Great storage project...looks great too.

Did you just mount slides on the back like Bill did in his shelves? If so do you have to use special slides that resist racking, or do the standard ones work just fine?

Great use of space, I like it!! What type of slides did you use and where are they mounted?

I just used the 100 lb full extension drawer slides from wwhardware. I mounted them to the back the same way Bill did in his. I used pocket holes and plywood to make a frame between each slide out to hold the slides. I'll get a photo of that later today.

Absolutely brilliant! I have been wondering how to deal with the junk of the storage shelves in my shop... That is a great solution!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Never mind, already answered!

Very cool. Are your plans available anywhere?

Slide-Out Cabinet-Plan.png

Here is the sketchup view of it without the slide outs. I also included my Sketchup drawing. The only thing not included in the drawing is the joinery - I used Pocket Screws for everything.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very practical and craftsman-like. Another use of a great idea. Kuddos to you and Bill Huber!

My Pantry version

I know this is a great idea I built this back in 1997 with the help of my friend Doc.

pantry 2.jpg
    Here is what I did with our Pantry that used to be one of those angle closet's over the stairs that never seems to work. I used only heavy duty file drawer slides rated at 150
    pantry 1.jpg
    Lbs per set and 4 of them per self. The shelving units are 38" H x 30" W x 12" deep. I then added 2 drawers and 2 Bins at the bottom which are angular for the slope of the closet. The only maintenance is taking out the slides about every 5 years and lubricating them.
    pantry 3.jpg

Well now I am going to have to redo mine, they look like crap compared to those. Now I am thinking about taking out one of the shelves that I have and make it into a large pull out, that would also keep the dust off some of the things a lot better.

Thanks for the compliment.