Thread: Woodworking fun in Houston area

Woodworking fun in Houston area

I'm in Houston for the week visiting the in-laws. Are there any cool woodworking stores/sites to visit while I'm here? I stopped at the hardwood barn on the way down and picked up some turning stock.

Kacey,
    Welcome to the Houston area. Depending on where you are, there is a Woodcraft store on FM 1960 and I45, a Rockler store on 59 just SW of downtown between Kirby and Edloe. Clark's Hardwood is close to downtown http://www.clarkshardwoodlumberco.com/map.php and it may offer you some turning stock.
    Hope you have a good stay.
    Don Snellenberger

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Snellenberger View Post
    Kacey,
    Welcome to the Houston area. Depending on where you are, there is a Woodcraft store on FM 1960 and I45, a Rockler store on 59 just SW of downtown between Kirby and Edloe. Clark's Hardwood is close to downtown http://www.clarkshardwoodlumberco.com/map.php and it may offer you some turning stock.
    Hope you have a good stay.
    Don Snellenberger
    Welcome to Houston. +1 on a visit to Clark's Hardwoods. You'll need a gps to find it but worth the trip. Six warehouses of wood and lots of exotics.

Kacey,
    Is the Hardwood Barn you're referring to in Nacogdoches, TX? If so, it's a cool, little place. You have some good advice from the other locals on other places to see. There's a place just outside of Houston called Texas Mesquite Lumber (owner's name is Jim) that will have some mesquite turning stock. Hope that helps.

Clarks Hardoods, Houston Hardwoods, M&G Sawmill in Huntsville, and of course Rockler, and Woodcraft stores in Houston...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I really don't know where the Hardwood Barn was... I was driving down the road and it caught my eye... had to turn around

There is also a woodcraft store in Southwest Houston, which is closer if you are inside the loop. Nice store. Well appointed and helpful folks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    There is also a woodcraft store in Southwest Houston, which is closer if you are inside the loop. Nice store. Well appointed and helpful folks.
    Woodcraft of Houston Southwest
    11707 West Sam Houston Parkway South

Houston, TX 77031
    (281) 988-9449

Woodcraft of Houston North
    60FM 1960 West

Houston, TX 77090
    281-880-0045

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

3265 Southwest Freeway
    Houston, TX 77027

Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co.Address:700 E. 5 ½ (in the Heights) Houston, Texas 77007Tel:713-862-6628

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Someone already mentioned Houston Hardwoods so add Brazos Forest Products which is about 10 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    Are you talking about the one on Beltway 8 by 59? I've always felt the staff there to be somewhat less than helpful.

I have had excellent service from the guys at the Rockler on 59 by Lakewood Church though...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...