Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAED Toolworks

1. David -- thanks.

Jeff -- Yup. I'll be in Gaithersburg. I think Chuck Bender's coming down too, if so you're in for a very informative day. Chuck's an unbelievable craftsman, and he's made his living on period woodworking for years. World of information and a very nice guy (but don't tell him I said any of that)

I generally to keep my business stuff off the forums, as I think the line between posting and 'closet marketing' is pretty vague and I've never been very fond of being 'sold to' on forums, so I'm going to bow out of this thread here. Once again, though - thank you everyone for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    At 9 months of experience, you can still easily spot a good plane by use. I would imagine you found raney's plane a notch or two above the manufactured planes in use, and in regular use, the ease of setup to the tight tolerances is really nice to have. Pull the iron out, sharpen it, drop it in, plane.

There might be some people scoffing at my comments that I think raney is doing the planes very reasonably. The world of infills is a whole other world compared to the $300 manufactured planes.
    Hi Dave,
    Maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit, but that 9 months is as a hobbyist with 2 young kids. I think part of it also comes from not really using any "bad" planes. I'm fortunate enough that my day job allows me to have a selection of bench planes all from LN, with some specialty Veritas planes. That said, while I would definitely say there was something "better" about the DAED's in use, I would be hard pressed at this point to either qualify or quantify the "better" part of the statement.
    New Canuck Workshop