Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm in the market for a gas chainsaw. Any recommendations?

The chainsaw threads here often have a lot of innacurate information (without getting into the details). Everyone has an opinion, but the useful facts often get discarded. One issue I will comment on is the suggestion for a top handle saw. Bad idea. Top handles are a specialty purpose saw and should be left to pros that need them for limbing while in a tree. Their balance and leverage make them less safe, especially for the novice user.

As for brands, Stihl and Husqvarna are the Chevy and Ford of chainsaws, but by no means the only good saws out there (and they both have good and bad models).

Arboristsite.com is one of your best bets for saw info.
    Last edited by Jake Helmboldt; 04-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Yeah and keep in mind that the Lowes, Sears and Home Depot versions are often cut down "city boy" versions and not 1) as powerfull as a "landowner" or "professional" models and 2) not meant to last but a 1/4 the lifespan (hence the relatively cheap prices). Find a dealer and do the research.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I agree on the good brands of chainsaw's mentioned here. I have a Husky Rancher 55 with an 18" bar. Nice saw but if I were to buy another one, I would make sure it has a compression release button for easier starting. Although my saw isn't hard to start, you can't start it by holding it with one hand and pulling with the other. There's too much compression. I have to have it on the ground and hold it down with my foot. Other than that, it's a great saw.

Don't forget to use good quality and fresh gas!
    It's all fun!

Terry

Stihl Farm Boss. Nuff Said. Sharp chains, Skin the rakers down a bit when sharping and you'll end up with a pile of nice curly shavings and a big pile of wood.......Note of caution: with the reduced height of the rakers the risk of kick back does increase.

Thanks for all of the great info. I've got a couple of saws in mind so now I'll just have to find the best price.

Thanks!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?