Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tops for Library

Tops for Library

I support our local librarys childrens Summer Reading Program with tops that are used as prizes. I have been doing this for the last 5 years. This year I will also donate a lidded box and a special top to be used as the "grand prize" for one boy and one girl. I never hear from any of the winners but I don't care as I know it promotes reading. My thanks to the library for letting me participate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wonderful job Terry!

Are you using the Decorating Elf on top of your tops?

I just got one and love it.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Terry - what a great way to give back to your community! Bet the kids love the tops!

How did you color them? What finish did you use? Are they one piece or was the stem turned separate?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Terry, great gift on your part! And, fantastic variety - I would have difficulty coming up with all the different ideas for these. I love the brightly colored ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Terry - what a great way to give back to your community! Bet the kids love the tops!

How did you color them? What finish did you use? Are they one piece or was the stem turned separate?
    Ditto what Steve said and maybe give some average sizes. Some really nice work.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice! Ditto Steve's question about finishing them.

I made a couple of tops for my kids when I was starting to learn to turn. It might be time to check out the scrap box and see if I've got any potential tops in there!

Really a great effort and for a wonderful cause. Love the tops!

Wow, those are really awesome. I really never give Tops much thought - but you've really opened my eyes. Great work!

Art

Wonderful work Terry!!
    I like the colors and the wood tone pieces both! Too Cool.

I just printed out your pics for reference. I gotta make a bunch for the kids at a show before Mothers Day. (no rest for the weary)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Wow that is a nice pile of tops you have there! Very nice of you to do something like this!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who gives up their most treasured commodity (time) for others. Those kids will love them and you get the peaceful sleep of the generous.
    faust

Great work. How are you coloring those? They look great and I am sure the kids will really enjoy them,
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thank you everyone.

All of the colored tops are one piece. I only use hard maple. Hard Maple holds the body rigid while I am turning the stem. If it isn't rigid the stem flexes while turning and will wobble when the top spins. I start with a 2" sq x 6 1/2" long blank and can get 3 tops. I turn the body of the top then sand to 320, apply a base color then "chatter". Next I add all the extra enhancement colors. I use Prizma Colors. The only finish is White Diamond then Carnuba on the Beal buffs. For "chatter" I use one or more of the following: 2 chatter tools, Sorby and the one with the black rubber handle, full size and mini Sorby spiraling tool, a metal working knurling tool, a Apprentice Wagner Texturing Tool (3/8 x 12) and for mild "chatter" I hang a 3/8" spindle gouge way over the tool rest. I don't have a Decorating Elf but it is on my list.

Most of the natural tops are 2 piece. I started doing this because I was given some killer figured Maple from an instrument maker. The pieces were warped to badly to use for anything else. I buy actual sized 3/8 maple dowels. Drill a hole in the body blank 1/64 smaller than the dowel and press in with an arbor press. A little CA holds them in place. I even have some 5/16 Cocobolo dowels that make excellent stems.

Most of the tops are 2" or smaller. I do have some 3" tops but they are hard for the kids to spin. Heck I even have trouble spinning them.

I probably turn 300 tops a year some for sale and some for donations. Our club also sells tops at Christmas to raise funds for a local charity.

I get my Prizma colors here. http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/...ary-colors.asp
    Last edited by Terry Quiram; 04-26-2011 at 8:58 PM.

Terry those tops are fantastic! Great looking variety and the colors are top notch. Thanks for the link on the Prizma colors. I think I'll check them out.

Well...you got me started Terry. I made three tops last night. Soft Maple (just wanted to practice)
    Also...I went to Wally World and got a package of multi-color sharpies and used those. The colors are real vivid, but I was wondering if you had any negative experiences with sharpies?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson