Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit Unisaw with a custom granite top

Retrofit Unisaw with a custom granite top

I've got an ancient Unisaw - 1922, I think, and I'm not going to make an irreversible Frankenstein.

However, I'm

really

tired of sanding and rewaxing the table top. I lust after those granite topped saws, but won't buy one.

It occured to me - why not remove the top I've got and get a custom granite top made? Does anyone know of a supplier of retrofit tops? Anybody have some compelling reason why I shouldn't?

What is a custom made top with a properly made throat(with a step in it) going to cost? I wouldn't put a granite top on the saw myself. I have to move my saw sideways sometimes to clear a long piece of wood. I grab it by a corner of the top to do so. With a granite top,I'd never be able to go tugging on the top. Even with a 700# rated Shop Fox under it,my saw is still hard to swivel. BTW,the 700# Shop Fox rating is nonsense. I expect the wheels to give out at any time. My saw weighs 600#.

How 'bout covering the table with formica? It doesn't rust. It isn't very thick, so you don't lose much cutting depth. You keep all the structural advantages of cast iron.

Since the first Unisaw was built in 1939, I think, you have a very rare and valuable saw. You could probably sell it and buy yourself 10 granite saws Joking aside,by the timefind somebody to make a custom granite top, you would be better off selling your saw and buy a Steel City Granite top saw. I believe the Steel City saws have a 4" top. I think they also have steel rods drilled and inserted into them for strength. You also have to consider inserts for wings and fence. I'm not sure how the blade opening is designed. If you feel you want to make your own, you might want to look at the Steel City to see how they did it.

Ooh, you should have the top chromed!

Chrome is great idea!!!

Yeah Chrome! That would probably have more longivity than granite.

World-famous Leica cameras are "black" chrome plated! Now that would be Classy!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Careful what you ask for; steel tops are flatter, stronger, less wear resistant, and contrary to most people's impression, much lighter. Granite is surprisingly close to aluminum for weight and stiffness.

Although not cheap, I would bet that chrome or nickel plating would be cheaper than retrofitting it with granite. This would also maintain DOC
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Gun metal gray has a nice look to it.

But nickle plating sounds fun as well.

I'd skip the chrome, but that's me.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTorresani View Post
    Careful what you ask for; steel tops are flatter, stronger, less wear resistant, and contrary to most people's impression, much lighter. Granite is surprisingly close to aluminum for weight and stiffness.
    I always thought granite was flatter and heavier, along with rust proof, and less prone to warpage.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mail View Post
    However, I'm really tired of sanding and rewaxing the table top.
    Well there's your problem!

Stop sanding it and let it look like a "real" table saw.

Pete

Haven't seen any saw tops made of steel except some stamped tops on low-end models. The common material is cast iron.

Sounds to me like the O.P. really needs a dehumidifier. Shops wet enough to cause rust regularly on cast iron aren't really good enviroments for storing wood either.

Steve,this is true. And the projects going from a damp shop into an air conditioned house( like furniture) are liable to warp and crack.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I always thought granite was flatter and heavier, along with rust proof, and less prone to warpage.
    +1 here. when i sold a new ridgid 4511, which weighed 477 lbs. ( the predecessor 3660 weighed 300 lbs), the buyer had to unpack the saw in the truck that HD had forklifted it into. the wings were extremely heavy relative to CI.

I love the thought of plating tables. For a while Steel city offered a titanium nitride coating on its cast tops... must not have caught on. I wonder what nickel plating would cost? Infinity nickel plates their blades and it seems to work really well. I guess I'd just worry about scratching the plating. Besides, the cost of any retrofit will buy a BUNCH of scotchbrite and paste wax. Maybe I'll stick with the ol' standard.