Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community College teacher wanting CNC recommendations

Community College teacher wanting CNC recommendations

I'm a fine furniture teacher in North Carolina, and our plans to purchase a sliding panel saw are fizzling. We're starting to think about using the funds to purchase a CNC Router. I don't know much about them, but am very eager to learn.

Normally I research the heck out of a new purchase, but there is a time constraint and I can't exactly walk into a store and mess with one. Also, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Our budget, all inclusive, is around 8-9,000. This is going into a college environment so it won't be used heavily, but maybe abused unintentionally. I'd really love to be able to fit a 4x8 sheet on it, but whatever I can get. Dust collector is already present. It probably would be used for cutting repeated parts, some carvings, 3-d sculpting, and processing some plywood.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to look at used equipment. If anyone can give me some good suggestions I'd really appreciate.

Talk to Ted at Shopbot they have tools in a lot of schools. They are from Durham.

I second the Shopbot suggestion. They have great customer service, and with Ted, the owner, being from academia they should understand your environment.

Take a look at CAMaster they have a solid built welded frame machine and supply to schools and colleges I think there is also a 10% discount.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Blog Entries
    You may have a tough time with the $8-9k budget if you want a full 4x8 sheet in at once, though...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

For $8-9k, you'll probably need a good amount of help from manufacturers. Vectric Aspire(software) alone is $2000.

If you can't buy new, then I suggest building your own. You should have all the resources available to build one fairly easily. It's a fairly simple project when you have the tools and resources. It should be interesting for the whole school since it can work in the welding students, electrical students, construction students, painting students, and the technical drawing students. You could easily build a 4x8 machine that will last a long time for $5000.

Another option I'm currently researching is xyzgantry.com. It's kind of a mix between DIY and commercial. They provide everything cut and ready. You have to assemble it and put it on a base. I don't know if quotes are confidential, but I'll say a 4x8 machine fits your budget but it would be had to squeeze software in too.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

There may be one other angle to present to the powers-that-be. Students would likely be better able to figure out a sliding table on their own or with minimal instruction than to figure out CNC operations with the same minimal instruction. Learning CNC theory and practice should be of value to the students. I don't know how this meshes with the fine furniture part but for non-artisan woodworking, CNC machines are not going away. CAD/CAM/CNC seems like it'll be part of any future manufacturing related employment. I don't know that there are many jobs that can be done on a sliding saw that can't be done on a conventional table saw. Not as fast and you may need more jigs but you're not running a production shop. At least that's how I as a non-teacher would look at it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-28-2011 at 7:50 AM.

i helped the richland northeast high school get a cnc in their cabinetry program. it is a worth while venture and there are some creative ways to get the machine and the software. the camheads forum is a good place to start. there are local patrons in your community which will provide funding. feel free to call

camheads.org

803 518 2074

jim mcgrew
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2011 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Removed forum link. Linking to forums is not allowed per the TOS.

REAL nice opportunity to have a student CNC build.

Joes CNC machine plans - might be within budget and all involved would learn a lot.

It this a vocational school?

Machine shop could be involved, Carpentry, Electronics, Drafting, computer, etc.

It would be a multi discipline approach.

Then there would also be some CNC involvement.

Sounds like opportunity to me.

At to programming software - Aspire is a NICE to have - I wish I had it.

However it is NOT a must have - there are far less expensive alternative options.
    I would recommend Vectric highly - but V-Carve Pro and Cut 3D - or even free 3D machinist will go a LONG way.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 05-07-2011 at 1:02 PM. Reason: added content

10. I would look at the carvewright under 2000.00 bucks including software.

i also have the carvewright and have helped get cnc machines in schools, i would reccomend a build like a joes machine or a purchase like a camaster or a shopbot, my reasoning is this the carvewright while vastly improved (after using the first few thousand owners as unsuspecting beta testers with lousy machines) will not teach gcode, or basic cnc programing which the student will find a requirement in the applied world this is a crucial learning point in the education of this type of machinery and should not be ecluded from cirriculum. the carveright is a plug and play which while functional (brandon produces exceptional work with his) it would not be a first choice as an instructional machine
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 05-19-2011 at 7:55 AM.

Check out buildyourcnc.com. Patricks machine offers a 4x8 routing area with electronics for $2900. You provide your own PC and build your own table surface.

Thank you for all of your responses! I hate it when people don't repost after they ask a question.

I checked out a few different options and was interested in ShopBot and CAMaster equipment. The people at CAMaster have a FINE product, and it isn't too expensive, and were very willing to help me with my interest, but I ended up going with a ShopBot Buddy 32 Standard for a few reasons.

1. We already have a larger shopbot on campus so I knew all of the software would relate. For instance if a student had a design that wouldn't fit on our machine, all they had to do was take the other instructor the file and some brownies and they were set.

2. It is easily upgradable to 8' capacity while not being too bulky yet.

3. They are local (North Carolina).

4. If fit the budget.

5. I had very little time, and I was a bit tired of trying to research and get price quotes for sliding panel saws and CNC's.

I personally like the home built idea. But for the school, turnkey, training, and tech-support are invaluable.

14. will not teach gcode, or basic cnc programing which the student will find a requirement in the applied world this is a crucial learning point in the education of this type of machinery and should not be ecluded from cirriculum.
    I am not so sure that this statement is conclusive for the new generation of cam/3D students and since we are always learning he or she will have ample time to study gcoad and take a class on a HASS/

I think the kids would be able to learn basic cad cam and advanced concept's using 3D modeling tools and the Carvewright for a little as 3000k.

here is one of our CW user that made his own dust cap. If your 19 year old student was to manufacture this on a CW I think you would be proud.

Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 08-13-2011 at 4:07 PM.

brandon the z head in the vid has a "brass" button in the curved recess, the updated replacement "z" on the cw website does not show this,, is this a stop button for changing bits ? and is it on the upgrade?

i have thought of up grading my cw (been in the barn for three years, do not buy a larger cnc it is hard to go back) i do have some stuff i can do with it and i believe if i were to set it up my wife might use it.