Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tablesaw horsepower

markus shaffer Guest

tablesaw horsepower

I recently met another woodworker with a powermatic 66. He was pretty excited about having the 5 horsepower motor. In the past I've met a few other people who also were fairly preoccupied with the amount of horsepower their saws have. I happen to have the three horsepower powermatic and it's always served me really well.. It's never bogged down or given me any reason to think that it wasn't powerful enough even when ripping 3" thick maple and walnut. This is a saw I use almost daily and not for light duty work. Woodworking pays my bills, so it sees quite a bit of use. Anyway, I'm curious what other people think. Does the extra horsepower really matter all that much? Seems to me it's similar to the people I see driving Hummers around Manhattan. A bit overkill.. Perhaps that is a poor analogy though. I mean no offense to those with bigger motors.

-markus

I thought about the five hp option when I bought my saw, and the reason in my mind was that, with the 5hp, the saw would rarely be taxed to it's full capacity and therefore might last longer. It wasn't enough to get me to spend the extra 200 though.

Just a thought.

Jim
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Geoffrey Chaucer

We bought the 5HP Grizzly for the mesquite outfit. I can say many unkind things about that saw, but I've never had any complaint with the power. I can't recall that we've ever bogged it down.

KC

3HP fine here

No, I've never bogged my 3HP PM66 down, not even close. And the 5HP isn't just another $200--it's a whole re-wiring job for the shop. I suppose if I had had 3-phase power available I might have given it a second thought--but no. I just don't need it.

I've used a 5hp tablesaw in different woodshops as I moved around the Air Force and now I have a 3hp at home and I can't tell the difference. Thick or thin they both cut right through the toughest wood and the occasional kickback is capable of inflicting serious injury on the unsuspecting woodworker upgrading from a contractor saw.
    Dennis

Don't need it here

Markus-

I have the PM 66 3Hp version, too. Haven't slowed it down with anything yet.

Ted

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Re: tablesaw horsepower

Originally posted by markus shaffer
    I happen to have the three horsepower powermatic and it's always served me really well.. It's never bogged down or given me any reason to think that it wasn't powerful enough even when ripping 3" thick maple and walnut.
    -markus
    Markus, That pretty much says it all.
    I have 3hp in my unisaw and I'ne never felt the need for 5. 3hp has done everything that I've asked without even the smallest wimper.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. – Unattributed
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

One other thing to worry about is kickback. While the bigger motor may power through better, but if it ever does kickback you've got a lot more pwer being thrown at you! If a 1-1/2 to 3 hp motor does the job, I wouldn't upgrade to the 5 just for more power.

I too have the 3Hp PM66 and would only consider the 5Hp model if I were going to use a Powerfeeder with it. For hand feeding 3HP is enough.

For the extra moola it takes

to upgrade to 5 hp, I don't think it's necessary with most cabinet saw situtations. My 3 hp will rip 6/4 oak about as fast as you want to push it.

Just a clarification . . .

Originally posted by Russ Filtz
    While the bigger motor may power through better, but if it ever does kickback you've got a lot more pwer being thrown at you!
    Hi Russ,

This isn't the case. The blades should be spinning at the same speed (assuming it isn't bogged down at that moment) so kickback would be the same.

Not a big deal at all, but I just don't want anybody getting the idea that an underpowered 1hp saw is somehow safer than a 3hp saw. It's more likely the reverse. Motors that bog down tempt people into unsafe practices.

Jerry

speed -vs- horsepower

Jerry,

I'm far from an expert but I think the benefit of a lower powered motor in "reducing" kickback is the bog down point.

Indeed the RPM of the blade should be identical for each different hp (1 1/2, 2, 3, 5). But the less power the better the chance that the motor will stall before throwing the board. Not an ideal situation to be sure, but one more chance to keep things under control.

Glen Smith

I agree

I agree that a lower power motor might bog down more than a higher power motor before kickback, and in those cases would throw the board at a slower speed. However, not all kickback happens when the motor bog downs - in those cases it makes no difference. I mostly just don't want anyone claiming that a lower power saw motor is somehow safer than a higher power one. Maybe from an electrical shock perspective though

Question I'm just amazed by this thread!

I'm pretty sure that no one of us has an idea of what the real differences are between a 3hp and 5hp table saw. I think we can agree that a 3hp works pretty darn well in most applications. I bothers my engineer mindset that clearly this is based on a few unscientific samples that really aren't studied.

This is the weakest part of a BBS, everyone wants to justify their equipment as the optimum price/performance. What router to buy? I own the .... so get that one. Etc, etc. Makes the mag reviews seem down right scientific, at least they have tried more than 2.

I'll go do some work and try to justify my expensive equipment by having a result. Sorry for the rant.

I have to chime back on the power issue. Sure the blades are spinning at the same speed, and with a relatively light piece a kickback would approximate that speed (with no binding). However, as the weight of the workpiece increases you ARE talking about the force behind the blade, not just the momentum of the spinning blade. F=MA.

With more power/force/torque behind the blade, you have more acceleration available to move bigger workpieces. This is the real danger. The larger motors can kickback larger pieces! A smaller motor would just bind. With small pieces, the kickback would be similar.

Yes, I are an engineer!