Thread: Using Boeshield t-9 for TS moving parts?

Using Boeshield t-9 for TS moving parts?

I'm setting up my new Jet cabinet saw & was wondering whether spraying t-9 on the gears - trunnion area & just letting it dry as a coating is a good idea or not?

Blog Entries
    Unless it is wiped off Boeshield leaves a sticky residue that would not be good under the table where it would be exposed to sawdust.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    +1 on too sticky for me. Getting all the residue off gear teeth would not be on my "want to do" list.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What they said. You only want to leave it on when storing something then would have to get wiped off before use.

I'm not an expert on lubrication but I would think putting a lubricant on a gear on a woodworking machine would only cause the sawdust to stick to it and gum it up bad.

So is a dry lube the best for the trunnion area?

The classic lube for trunnion gears is aerosol white lithium grease. It goes on kind of like shaving cream and doesn't seem to collect too much crud. Comes with a long nozzle for getting into tight areas.

I like using a graphite spray myself.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...p?p_ref=258904
    http://www.slipit.com/home.html
    These are the ones we use in Commercial Woodworking...Slipit and Sprayway Woodworking Lube. Spraway can be used on saw table tops and router bearings.

Dupont makes a dry lubricant (that you can get at the Borg) that works great. It comes in a Blue & white can that says; Dupont, Teflon, Multi Use, Dry Wax Lubricant. We had a thread where it was mentioned a while back, and I think Glenn Bradley and others are using it too. It won't collect dust, and the tilting and blade raising functions on my 20 year old PM 66 NEVER worked as smoothly as it does since I lubed it with this stuff. Seems like it was either $7 + or $9 + per can.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-29-2011 at 7:32 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Norman's got it: great stuff.

Incidentally, I like to use T9 only on my tops (TS, BS, J/P, etc.). I first clean the top to remove any spots, stains, rust, etc. Then I spray the T9...then I coat that with Slip-It and I apply the Slip-It for a while until it needs a cleaning again.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

For my gears and trunnions I use an old toothbrush and Minwax finishing wax. No sawdust attraction. I use the same for the work surface of all my machines, I just buff out the wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelsey View Post
    I'm setting up my new Jet cabinet saw & was wondering whether spraying t-9 on the gears - trunnion area & just letting it dry as a coating is a good idea or not?
    The traditional lubricant for the trunnion heli gears is furniture paste wax. Apply it with an old tooth brush. Crank the tilt and raise mechanism as you brush back and forth with the tooth brush. Paste wax is an excellent low speed lubricant and will not attract or hold sawdust.
    Howie.........

thanks so much for the great replies!!!!!