Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blended turning

Quite a project, David. Very well done!

Gorgeous piece. What fine craftmanship. Your family will still treasure this loooooong after we are gone.

Beautiful work! Matching leaves and chairs in the future?

I'm sure the Kids are going to love it, and their kids, and their Kids. Well you get the idea.
    Oh I like it a lot too.

Steve

David, That is just beautiful! I have had a dream to make a pedestal table of some sort one day and yours gives me all kinds of ideas on what to incorporate in one if I ever get to it!

Thanks for sharing and keeping my dreams alive in my overful brain!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks all for the great comments. It was mostly a very fun project. Not my first large diameter pedestal but my first veneer experience, if you can call it veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .......how did you get the burl? Did you slice it off by resawing or is it a purchased veneer?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    David, Like Roger, I am interested in the burl veneer - looks like some very large pieces. I know you enjoy BLM and it really finds a home in this table.
    I do enjoy the BLM burl but the major reason I use it for so many projects is that I have a bunch of it. I sliced it from some big slabs of burl I harvested from the homestead. I am also nearly finished with another table from a large slab of said burl and will post it on the appropriate spot on the creek soon. Lovely wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    The top looks like it might separate and allow for use of an extension. Is that the case?
    Yes is separates and I have three 12 inch leaves to expand it to seven feet long. With the large pedestal and stout legs, it is pretty stable even without supplemental legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    David, I have the beer if you have the cards.
    the bar is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff View Post
    I would've loved to have seen the top finished with a varnish mix to get the ash burl to pop!
    Like I said, it was not my preferred finish but the burl really looks pretty good, just the lighting shows it poorly - one day I will take the time to learn better lighting and photographic techniques. It's tough enough on small turnings, but a large flat surface really baffles me.
    And Baxter, I just don't have the patience to build a full set of chairs. One can be fun, but eight? Not happening in my shop.
    Thanks again for taking the time to look and to comment.

Lovely table, I bet that one will be in the family for a looooong time.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome