Thread: T8 Ballast Problem (maybe)

T8 Ballast Problem (maybe)

When I built my shop about three years ago I installed eight four tube T8 lights. Yesterday I replaced the fourth ballast. That's 50% failure in three years. Is this to be expected?

It can happen with electronic ballasts. The major manufactuter's ballasts have a 5 year warranty, Sylvania, Advance, Universal. There is usually a date code stamped on the back of the ballast case. They should replace your ballast, it would involve you filling out a form and sending the bad ballast to the manufacturer. Check on-line, there should be claim info on their web-sites.

Bill, no it's not normal, we use thousands of those ballasts at work, and aside from infant mortality they last a lot longer than 3 years.

That said, we had a few non name brand cheap ballasts, and they all had a short life.

As Buck indicated, you may have a 5 year warranty on your ballasts.............Regards, Rod.

Bill, I feel your pain, we had 22 new T8 fixtures installed in our archery club 4 years ago. I know every ballast has been replaced at least once and some twice. We have had the electrician recheck all the wiring and grounds, with no problems found. They have warrantied every ballast, but what a major pain! The electrical supply co. thinks the frequency of the lights being switched on and off is the major cause in the failing, they also stated they have had a few issues with T8 ballasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

That said, we had a few non name brand cheap ballasts, and they all had a short life.
    I believe that is the cause of our problems Rod. I have suggested a different mfg. for replacement ballasts, but they will not exchange them, just replace one junky ballast with another.

Not all ballasts are created equal.

There was an article published by Fine Wood Working a number of years ago. A fellow Creeker, Jack Lindsey (sp?) IIRC wrote the article. In the article he pointed out the differences and how to tell if you were getting a quality product.

I installed 11 8' 4-bulb T-8 fixtures several years ago. I haven't had a problem yet. Note they weren't cheapest. I used Jack's article as a reference for the lighting layout and the products to buy.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the same problem with my T-8 ballasts. I have replaced them with Advance Ballast from the Borg and so far those are hanging in there just fine. These things are just a PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Not all ballasts are created equal.
    Amen to that father Ken! My shop has 6, T8 fixtures and I have yet to replace one.

I have 19 Lithonia 2-bulb T8 troffers and 9 Lithonia 2-bulb surface mounts running almost 3 years now with zero problems in my shop and garage. You must have gotten cheap ballasts or a bad batch.

Another vote for Advance Ballasts. The electrician who wired our house would only use Advance. He liked magnetic, but I insisted on electronic in the shop. I have had to replace one in 9 years.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have Lithonia from the orange borg...4 years+...working like a champ. I finally had one T-8 bulb die on me out of 28 last week.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I also have the Lithonia from HD. Also about 4 years. I have replaced one ballast on an 8' 4 bulb unit. The ballast worked, but interfered with the radio reception. I have 5 of these 8' units, and 5 of the 2 bulb 4' units. I need one more 8' and two more 4' to complete the lighting.
    Bill, what brand of bulbs are you using? Anyone know if a bulb could cause this problem? I got mine from Businesslights.com and have been very happy with the price and the quality of the bulbs. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.