Thread: how do I convert distance offset to angular value?

Question how do I convert distance offset to angular value?

I received an e-mail from Woodpeckers offering a limited edition square (http://www.woodpeck.com/1pccarpenter...0&rid=29489241).
    They state that they use a feeler gauge to verify that each surface if straight within 0.0015 inch.

This started me wondering, if the 90 degree is off at the top by 0.0015 inch, what is the real angle?

Or better yet, how do you convert between the two?

Simple trig, 89.98567606° Close enough for government work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I used to know the trig to do this, but I just use an online calculator now. Assuming the .0015" error is measured at the end of the leg of the square, you can think of the problem as an isosceles triangle with 2 sides the length of the square and the third side of length .0015". So, knowing 3 sides, you can compute any angle of the triangle.

On the 3 3/4" square, that would equate to a 0.022918* angle opposite the .0015" side.

On the 6" square, that would equate to a 0.014324* angle opposite the .0015" side.

So, 90* - these angles.

I see Bruce beat me to it...

Wow, Fast Response.

Thanks Guys!

I should've said that my numbers were for the 6" square.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We have an angle chart online.

http://blog.carbideprocessors.com/wp...gles-Chart.pdf

You can download it or you can call and we will send you a laminated 11" x 17" version free. Ask for Emily or Renee'

Tom Walz
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-28-2011 at 3:58 PM.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Exercise in Practicality

And once we have quantified the deviance from square of .0015" in 6" (89.98567606°) what can that information be used for?

It would be more useful in woodworking to find the deviance from square for 3/4" and 1-1/2" lumber as the amount of gap produced if butted against true 90° --.00019" and .00038" respectively. Not much! Plenty good for woodworking.

I set the blade of my TS to "90°" with a cheap plastic drafting square; a penlight laid on the table behind for backlight. Amazingly, the surface of the blade plate undulates along it's width a minute amount. Thus, the "90°" setting must be visually interpolated with the least amount of "daylight" between blade and square at any one time. Mine are premium Freud blades, not some cheapies.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Just to finish the play, you take the arctangent of (the blade length divided by the deviation), so angle = atan(.0015/6) = atan(4000) = 89.98567606°
    You Never Regret Quality

The way I read that ad, the 0.0015" refers to the straightness of each edge. For example they would place a side of the triangle on a super flat reference surface, and feel for any gaps between the triangle and the reference surface. If the feeler slips through, it needs to be reground.

The ad doesn't mention the accuracy of the right angle. But if they did it would be given in degrees, minutes and seconds.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    .....................They state that they use a feeler gauge to verify that each surface if straight within 0.0015 inch.
    Measuring for straight, is not the same as measuring the angle at the corner. While I agree that IF the surfaces are completely flat/straight, then the trig thing works. But if one leg of the square has an edge that is simply not straight, that has nothing to do with the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson 27577 View Post
    Measuring for straight, is not the same as measuring the angle at the corner. While I agree that IF the surfaces are completely flat/straight, then the trig thing works. But if one leg of the square has an edge that is simply not straight, that has nothing to do with the angle.
    Very good point! People assume because a part was machined on a CNC that it is perfect. That is not always the case.

Andy Rooney