Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for a good entry level router

Recommendation for a good entry level router

I am looking to buy router and wanted to get some advice from you all. I looked at the Dewalt DWP611 and a Porter Cable.

What would you all recommend?

Those two are great starters and often come packages as kits with all sorts of extras. The borgs often have sales on such things so keep an eye out.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Welcome to the creek.

The Porter Cable 690 series is one of the most popular routers around. There are tons of jigs and such that you can buy for those models. Which one is a personal preference. The 690 LR is the most basic model. It will work in a table or freehand well enough. 690LRVS adds variable speed which is nice to have but probably not as nice as getting the plunge base 693LRPK. The plunge feature might not seem all that great at first, but you'll quickly learn to love the things you can do with it. If you're going to do a lot of freehand work, I'd get the D-handle or make your own offset base.

You can't go wrong with a Craftsman. Much of them are Porter Cable in design.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The Hitachi KM12VC is another great choice, smooth as glass, and quieter than other routers out there. Not that any router is whisper quiet mind you...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I am another Porter-Cable advocate! The current 890 models have come under fire but older P-Cs RULE! There are great values out there on used 690 models. The D-handle base is great in use, but the basic two-handled base is not bad either. The plunge base is very usable too. I have five 690s of various iterations. They just keep running and running...
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Keith - There's probably a dozen or more good choices, but if you're going to be using it for hand routing, get one that feels good in your hands. If you think you'll ever be putting it in a router table, get one with variable speed and at least 11 amps (forget the hp ratings). Milwaukee, Hitachi, PC, DW, Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, Craftsman, Triton, and Freud are just some that have viable options. You might find some nice deals on recondition units that'll help you buy better quality and stay in budget.

Whichever you choose, get one that offers 1/2" collet...both 1/4" and 1/2" are better yet, as long as includes the 1/2" option...then use decent quality 1/2" shank bits whenever feasible...avoid the cheapest no-name brand bits because there is more risk of a poorly made bit shedding a carbide tip when spinning at 20K+ rpms.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Another vote for the PC 690 D-handle base, or even better, the PC 694VK.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Although the PC690 is a proven workhorse it lacks a lot of the improvements in design that have come along. I am surprised that no one has said "get a plunge" yet. If this is a starter router, get a plunge or a combo kit. A plunge will do most of what a fixed base can do but, not the other way around. A plunge or combo will have you NOT looking for another router longer than a fixed base IMHO.

P.s. I have Milwakee 5615-24 and 5616-24's and have had DeWalts, Bosch and others. Many good combos out there now; this was definitely not the case several years ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm a PC guy...but look around for an older 690...the newer silver ones ain't up to snuff. The olive green ones are the bee's knees. Plunge base is good D handle is a great thing to have.
    Mick

The 0690 has a $20 rebate out right now. I ordered one and it came to $79 after rebate and had free shipping. That is the cheapest I have seen them and for $79 you really cannot go wrong.

I also advocate for the PC 690, we have them in my shop at work and see tremendous use, when our current 690 died (after 10 some years) without hesitation or looking at different models I purchased an identical replacement. I also bought an 890 to use as a dedicated table router.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Heyer View Post
    I looked at the Dewalt DWP611 and a Porter Cable.
    I would advise against this class of router as a good entry level router. These are more for the guy that already has several routers and needs a router to fit the really delicate jobs niche.

You want to be able to run 1/2 bits and decent ranger of cutter sizes.

I have a lot of routers and if I had to narrow it down to one it would be the Porter Cable 890. Plenty of power for most tasks, excellent above the table adjustments and bit changes, and generally good ergonomics. A close second would be the Rigid 2 1/4 hp routers. It has very similar features to the Porter Cable. It is a little clunkier with out the pedigree, but can be found at HD for $129 on clearance.

The Triton MFC001 is a great one to look at, lots of features. Also has built in means of through table adjustment should you ever want to mount it in a table. No need for a router lift or reaching below the table to set the bit height. Comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets as well as some other accessories. It can be found on sale in the $159 range. Whatever you do stay away from the Ryobi routers, I made that mistake starting out.

Good luck with your search! Lots of good choices listed above.

Another PC690 advocate here.
    Notice a trend?

Also - best thing I can recommend is go to google and type in Pat Warner.
    Follow the link to patwarner(dot)com.
    There's a wealth of knowledge there for everyone from beginner to whatever.