Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question of Balance

Question of Balance

This was going to be another dyed NE goblet/flower thing. But there was this really pretty spalted color thing going on at the rim and I knew that dying it would pretty much kill that. So it remains "au natural". The top of the stem is pretty much as planned and I'm not unhappy with it in spite of the somewhat sophomoric visual pun. But the bottom of the stem is an "on the fly" design change that was necessitated by a poorly timed twitch. I keep my cell phone in my pocket in case my wife or daughter calls and I have it set on "vibrate and ring" since the sound is often muffled or drowned out by the lathe. So it vibrated at just the moment when I was putting the finishing touches on the nice flair I had between the stem and the base, startling me and causing the aforementioned twitch which resulted in the complete destruction of the flair. I was able to blend what was left of the stem into the base so there it is!

balance_1.jpg

balance_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

2. This one is superb, David...I like your stem, and the wood as you have stated is just too pretty to cover up with air brushing or dye.

Very elegant and delicate as well..............first class all the way.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-29-2011 at 5:14 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really sweet David. Lovely form with your signature execution and stem. I suspect the stem could have been incrimentally better before the glitch, but the remainder is quite becoming. Since I am an "au naturale" kinda guy, I like the finish, or lack therof.
    Score one more knockout punch for DD

Great job David! My phone is set to vibrate too but it doesn't help me get results like this!

David, this is easily one of your best of these forms. Love the fine taper of that stem. Great job.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

6. David, that is absolutely beautiful, the wood is outstanding, but more impressive to me is your skill in proportions and the technical no how it takes to make a thin stem and a perfect flared top, wow I'm keeping a picture of this one.

I like this. I like it best of what I have seen so far. No question about it, it is visually well balanced. I tend to call such things happy accidents.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

You didn't mention who called, but you should thank them for the call and the timing. I don't know what you had planned originally but I think it would be difficult to improve on this base. It's elegant and simple and allows the beautiful work at the top of the stem, along with the beautiful burl flower to be the focal point. You just keep getting better with these long stemmed flowers. This one is without doubt my favorite.

I think this is your best David. I like the stem and the wood is just to pretty to color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice, DD. Although I enjoy your dyed versions of this, I think I prefer au natural. Kudos.

David, this is a refreshing piece of work! While I like the bell shaped base you do, this one is very special. Combined with the inset, this one is a winner, and probably my favorite of this series.

This is one of those situations where the correct thing to say is "I meant to do that". Very lovely indeed.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Gorgeous piece David! The wood and form on the cup are fantastic and I love your pedestal.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

twitch some more cause thats some spectacular stuff right there best one yet IMO

A #1 You just have the touch.