Thread: Incra PRL V-2 router lift

Incra PRL V-2 router lift

I read all the search material here and various reviews on google. Have not found anything current. I am leaning towards the Incra PRL V-2 lift for my PC 7518 router. Any thoughts about other lifts? Maybe the Incra Masterlift II, or a Bench dog or Jessem? Lots to choose from.

I have a homemade router table that goes back to the early 80's and think its time to enjoy the benefits of bit changes "above the table" All input appreciated.

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Robert, I don't think you can go wrong with the PRL models. I first had a Jessem Rout-R-Lift. I didn't like it because of "lash" in the height adjusting system. I believe that has been corrected with their new models. I currently use two PRL units and like them very much. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Dick,

Thanks for the info. Are your PRL models V-1 or V-2?

V-2 is the the type I have.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I have had several of the prl lifts. I really like the great customer service of Woodpecker. That being said I recently bought a V2 lift. So far I just don't like it. My 1/16th V1 works much better for me. If I could sell my V2 and get another V1 I would. Just my 2 cents.

If you can wait about a week I have a MAST-R-LIFT 2 waiting a top that should be here Monday with a 7518 already mounted in it. This is as solid as anything I've ever seen, and the mechanics are ULTRA smooth(just playing around) and not any lash in this lift. VERY deliberate in all adjustments. Give me a week and I will have a lengthy review of it for your pleasure. Good luck!

Matt

You can't go wrong with either lift. In my mind, because of the steel insert rings and how they attach and adjust, the INCRA version of both lifts is nicer than the ones by manufacturers (WoodPeckers and Jessem). I hated the aluminum twist lock insert rings so when I had a chance, I replaced the aluminum plate on my old WoodPeckers Plunge lift with an INCRA plate (I had a hole and recess milled in the INCRA plate for the lift leadscrew.) I love it.

I really like WoodPeckers lifts but after beta testing it, I would steer clear of the Sidewinder crank mod - the flex cable is too stiff and too short which really limits where you can mount the crank and makes it difficult to turn. WP missed the mark on this one.

Ron, Interesting comment. maybe it will improve with age. somtimes it's all about what we get used to and the way we do our thing.
    Matt, I will hang in there for your review, looking forward to your imput.
    Alan, I agree with the twist lock being of lesser quality. Rare earth magnets are the way to go, not to mention how important it is to have the throat plate be right on flush. I have a 9 hsp SCMI T-130 NPS shaper and I love the way the throat plates are milled to be exactly flush with the table. A very precision tool! My homemade router table does not have any insert rings and it does show at times. I look forward to the new lift.

Thank you all for your insight

Robert
    Last edited by Robert L Stewart; 05-01-2011 at 3:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gillam View Post
    If you can wait about a week I have a MAST-R-LIFT 2 waiting a top that should be here Monday with a 7518 already mounted in it. This is as solid as anything I've ever seen, and the mechanics are ULTRA smooth(just playing around) and not any lash in this lift. VERY deliberate in all adjustments. Give me a week and I will have a lengthy review of it for your pleasure. Good luck!

Matt
    Matt, Did your MAST-R-LIFT 2 top come in yet?